Starting position

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
TorbenC

Re: Starting position

Post by TorbenC »

We should start in Seyda Neen's Arrille's Tradehouse!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Why not just start in the Imperial Prison Ship?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The prison ship doesn't have enough stuff to test the engine on. I think the current default, Beshara, is much better suited. Arille's Tradehouse is probably alright too, since it would give you a chance to test some dialogues and Fargoth's quest right off the bat.

How about the Balmora Guild of Mages or Fighters Guild? Either would let you test dialogue, factions, training, beds, questing and teleportation services (as well as containers and ingredients/potions) right away. The only thing they're lacking are creatures or aggressive NPCs to fight.

I think the default OpenMW cell should give the user a general feeling for what the engine is currently doing right, and what it still needs work with.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Guys, we're in pre-alpha. If you don't like the starting cell, just coc somewhere else. I think we've got much bigger issues to be concerned with than what test cell we start the game in...
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Of course we do, but that's what this thread's topic is about. It's not like we're lacking manpower that we can't give people the freedom to think about this kind of thing. Actually, quite the opposite, we have an abundance of people working on code. People who can't do coding can at least think about mostly useless stuff like this - if they aren't bug hunting, that is.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Hey, just sharing my thoughts. ;)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Fair enough.
Last edited by Greendogo on 19 Nov 2012, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Why not just start in the Imperial Prison Ship?
Because it is named differently in localised versions of MW. Using this cell as default start, would break OpenMW for a lot of people.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

I thought ~ was a standard key for console, it's been the console key ever since I remember (Quake 1), why is it that OpenMW changed it to F2?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Wrong thread TorbenC