synaptic package dependency problem

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
spacecadet

synaptic package dependency problem

Post by spacecadet »

When I try to install openmw via the synaptic package manager is spits out this:

Code: Select all

openmw:
  Depends: openmw-data (=0.15.0-openmw1~lucid1) but 0.18.0-openmw1~lucid1 is to be installed
 Recommends: openmw-launcher but it is not going to be installed
Looks like it depends on openmw-data version 0.15.0 but only the current 0.18.0 version is available as a synaptic package.

And openmw-launcher says this:

openmw-launcher:
 Depends: openmw but it is not going to be installed
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: synaptic package dependency problem

Post by psi29a »

You can get around it with installing the packages like this:

sudo dpkg -i --force all openmw*.deb
that will get around those pesky problems. It is really an trivial issue that should have been cought a long time ago, but hasn't because we have no one to test lucid packages.

More to the point, we will be removing lucid, maverick and at the end of the month the natty packages as described (with reasons) here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1117

So if you would like to step up and help be the package maintainer for lucid, we can get you up to speed on the package creation process and even tell you where to fix this dependency issue. :)
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Well, as you mentioned in your referenced thread:
It also has no multi-arch support which makes maintance for us a pain in the neck each release.
So it would be prudent for me not to get involved - I'm not exactly swimming in free time for this kind of thing. It's easy enough just to manually download and extract each new release.

I would, however, be interested in at least reading of how I would hypothetically go about maintaining packages for a particular distro, if it's not to complex for you to post here (or in a new thread). And maybe this will catch the attention of some other EoL distro users who are more keen on contributing.

A shame Lucid is almost EoL, I think it will remain my favourite for a long time just because of Gnome 2.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

spacecadet wrote:I would, however, be interested in at least reading of how I would hypothetically go about maintaining packages for a particular distro, if it's not to complex for you to post here (or in a new thread). And maybe this will catch the attention of some other EoL distro users who are more keen on contributing.

A shame Lucid is almost EoL, I think it will remain my favourite for a long time just because of Gnome 2.
I wrote a bit about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1099&p=10448&hilit=debuild#p10448

I do not have any free time either, I more or less make time during lunch... ;)