Mods with multiple plugins?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
SaiyanBroly

Mods with multiple plugins?

Post by SaiyanBroly »

I'm trying to install the Tomb of the Snow Prince mod which is more difficult than expected because i cannot figure out whether it's okay to overwrite the contents of that mod with tje assets of it's Graphical Overhaul part.

But that's not really related to OpenMW and not my question either.

What i would like to know if how i should handle this mod that comes with a master plugin (Solstheim Tomb of The Snow Prince.esm) and several smaller plugins (TOTSP TD Content Integration - Spiders.esp) and (TOTSP TD Content Integration.esp) in the same folder. Are the esps to be put in the same folder as their master file or should i create separate folders in my data folder for those?

Thanks in advance, i wouldn't be bugging you guys with this simplistic issue if it wasn't for the fact that i wasted nearly a day trying to find an answer on my own.
lambda

Re: Mods with multiple plugins?

Post by lambda »

SaiyanBroly wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 21:05 What i would like to know if how i should handle this mod that comes with a master plugin (Solstheim Tomb of The Snow Prince.esm) and several smaller plugins (TOTSP TD Content Integration - Spiders.esp) and (TOTSP TD Content Integration.esp) in the same folder. Are the esps to be put in the same folder as their master file or should i create separate folders in my data folder for those?
My advice is to use one folder per mod and use whatever folder organization the mod author packaged his mod into. In this case, and if I understand you right, leave the master and all esp's in the same data folder.

But you could put them in different folders, it is just that you would gain nothing by doing it. Different data folders are there to prevent overwriting (moot in this case, since all the files come from the same mod) and to impose a global load order (not really relevant). Let no man separate what the mod author declared to be conjoined together.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

For what it's worth, I use mods with several separate plugins (e.g. Patch for Purists), and have always kept all plugins for each such mod in the same folder. I'd also recommend doing the same.
SaiyanBroly

Post by SaiyanBroly »

Alright guys, thanks for the heads up, i think i can take it from here.

Such a nice and clean way to order mods by the way, compared to Bethesda games where i had to package a lot of mods into a bsa in order to keep my data folder from becoming a hot mess.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you use MO2 with the other BGS games, you get nearly the same feature as OpenMW's VFS, so you might want to give that a try if you play the not-Morrowind ones.
SaiyanBroly

Post by SaiyanBroly »

I wasn't aware MO2 could do this, thanks for letting me know. :)