New OpenMW-CS Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Lamoot

Re: New OpenMW-CS Icons

Post by Lamoot »

Alright, here are the remaining icons. Not as polished as I'd like, but I think they work well enough and they complete the set. There are no source .blend files for the brushes or lighting yet, as they went from prototype in GIMP straight to being an icon. I'll provide those in due time for completeness sake.

These are the new icons:

selection-mode-cube-sphere.png
selection-mode-cube-corner.png
selection-mode-cube.png
lighting-lamp.png
lighting-moon.png
lighting-sun.png
brush-custom.png
brush-circle.png
brush-square.png
brush-point.png

The attachment remaining_stuff.png is no longer available
Attachments
remaining_stuff.png
lysol

Post by lysol »

These look so clean and modern. Thank you so much Lamoot.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Raster and scalable -directories have some versions of icons too, so I wonder how those should be treated. I'm also not quite sure what are the new versions for the following:

Info.png -> (not currently used in opencs?)
map.png -> (not currently used in opencs?)
magicrabbit.png -> (not currently used in opencs?)
multitype.png -> used in model/world/tablemimedata.cpp, what is the new version? Code has comment: //icon stolen from gnome TODO: get new icon
random.png -> (not currently used in opencs?)
random-item.png -> (not currently used in opencs?)

When creating a PR for these, it's probably a good idea to add aliases and prefixes like <qresource prefix="/editmode"> to most files and add more categories for icons to make updating easier in the future. One can either make a smaller PR with aliases changed into code without first changing the icons, or do it all together (aliases + new icon set). I'm up for this new set, as it's clean and complete for the most parts, but I guess this should get some more feedback at the current phase.

edit: grepped through opencs code, added more info about icons
edit2: Here are some additional icon types that might require a) new icon b) using any existing icon. No icon (when dragging/dropping):

Topic Infos
Journal Infos
Journals
Topics
Music Files (could use sound icon)
Meshes (sorry, there IS a texture icon, just have to connect)
Icons (sorry, there IS a texture icon, just have to connect)
Textures (sorry, there IS a texture icon, just have to connect)
Videos (sorry, there IS a texture icon, just have to connect)

edit3: I'll make a pr with full icon overhaul out of this, even if incomplete.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

lysol wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 20:23 These look so clean and modern. Thank you so much Lamoot.
Thanks and no problem, it's open source, we all benefit and it's cool to contribute :)
unelsson wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 09:25
Topic Infos
Journal Infos
Journals
Topics
Music Files (could use sound icon)
Meshes
Icons
Textures
Videos
I believe these icons are already all done. Is the journals / topic infos something other than what is listed below?

dialogue-greeting.png
dialogue-info.png
dialogue-journal.png
dialogue-persuasion.png
dialogue-regular.png
dialogue-voice.png

resources-icon.png
resources-mesh.png
resources-music.png
resources-sound.png
resources-texture.png
resources-video.png
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Code: Select all

{ CSMWorld::UniversalId::Class_Record, CSMWorld::UniversalId::Type_Topic, "Topic", 0 },
        { CSMWorld::UniversalId::Class_Record, CSMWorld::UniversalId::Type_Journal, "Journal", 0 },
        { CSMWorld::UniversalId::Class_SubRecord, CSMWorld::UniversalId::Type_TopicInfo, "TopicInfo", 0 },
        { CSMWorld::UniversalId::Class_SubRecord, CSMWorld::UniversalId::Type_JournalInfo, "JournalInfo", 0 },
Oh, right. I just don't know what goes where at this point (regarding jounals and topics).

Pull request
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

I'm also confused, where those icons should fit. I made the list of needed icons by exploring OpenMW-CS and from the existing files in master.
Checking again, I don't see journals and topics icons in CS. Do we then even need them included?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Open the search window, set the type to ID, enter the ID of a topic. The result list will show the topic, including the icon, which apparently matched the icon for topic info in current master. That's not optimal.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Right, I see the entries and their icons now. If I understand correctly:

Topics are a category of "hooks" for NPC dialogues. There are 4 types (Topic, Persuasion, Greeting, Voice)
Topic Infos are texts that are shown in NPC dialogues after selecting a particular Topic. Multiple topic infos can be evoked by a single Topic, depending on who you talk to.
Journals are triggers (quests?) that give you journal entries.
Journal Infos are journal entries you read in the journal.

All in all we need 7 icons to mark these. So the journal one should be made into two separate icons, the rest are ok.
dailogue_journal.png
dailogue_journal.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 8988 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

The topics table contains the list of keywords that can be used in dialogues (the right column of the dialogue window). That is for the type topic. The other 3 sub-types are just stuff that the MW developer forced into the same table, which is a design we are stuck with unfortunately. OpenMW-CS does not distinguish between them internally, so we do not need separate icons.

The topic info table contains a list of possible reactions to the keywords from the topics table, including the conditions under which they occur and the text you already mentioned.

The journals table contains a list of what essentially are quests.

The journal info table contains the journal entries that are added to the journal at various stages of the quests.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Thank you for the explanation, things are clear now. It did seem odd to have a mix of topics and sub-topics all in one table. Only four icons are needed then:

*Topics
*Topics Infos
*Journal
*Journal Infos

I'll be on holidays until Wednesday so I'll only be able to provide the icons later next week.