Manual & Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
PolyVinalDistillate

Re: Manual & Icons

Post by PolyVinalDistillate »

Thanks Zini - I get the distinct feeling you've had to post that in a lot of places... In fact, I'm sure I've read it before! Sorry.
On the plus side, cleaning up my mistake and starting again got rid of the "Revert followed by a Revert of the revert", so I won't look quite as silly :D All working now though and my first push done.

Still hazy on what happens now. I assume it's accessible and can be looked over by sirherrbatka (or others)?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks okay to me. @sirherrbatka ?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

will take a look at it tomorrow. Good night.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Still hazy on what happens now. I assume it's accessible and can be looked over by sirherrbatka (or others)?
To elaborate on that: You and sirherrbatka will now hopefully produce regular updates to the manual and push these to your respective repositories on github. From time to time you will want to merge each others work into your own repository (to keep in sync). You do that by adding the other guy's repository as a remote and then fetch and merge from it.

Once enough work has been done, a pull request needs to be issued towards the primary repository (OpenMW/openmw) and I will then merge your work. I presume sirherrbatka will take care of this pull request.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

ok, i browsed it. Overally it is good, but please, try to follow settled terminology (so for instance no block but field). And about this:
\usepackage{txfonts} % Public Times New Roman text & math font
Please, no. I i can't look at this font anymore. :roll:
PolyVinalDistillate

Post by PolyVinalDistillate »

sirherrbatka wrote:ok, i browsed it. Overally it is good, but please, try to follow settled terminology
I'll have to be brought up to speed on that terminology as we go. We need an overall glossary of terms to keep any contributors to the manual who haven't been involved in the development process of OpenMW / OpenCS up to speed (like me!). I'll start collecting together what's already in the manual into one glossary. Perhaps I should have done this first.

As for txfonts, I'm pretty certain that has nothing to do with me and I don't see it in my commits. I agree it should be banished! Far nicer on the eyes without it.

Oh - and thanks for the explanation Zini :)
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

Hello, it turns out I had some free time over the past few days, so I started tinkering around with the manual. You can see the changes here (to the files and directories section): https://github.com/Bodillium/openmw/compare/ManualEdit

My aim was to make the section clearer and more concise, whilst correcting any grammatical mistakes. I don't know much about the operation of OpenCS, however, so I am not sure how useful I will be in creating entirely new content.

If my changes seem desirable, should I send a pull request to SirHerrbatka? This is my first time using either LaTeX or Git, so please forgive and point out any noob errors.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I will browse your changes next week.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ok, so that's what I think about it.
A file is a resource for storing data, identified by its
+filename extension (e.g. .exe, .jpg, .txt), whereas a directory is a folder or file system structure in which these files are stored. You
+are most likely already familiar with these concepts.
This is not correct. Filename extension does not identify a filename (you make think it does if you use windows) and directory does not only store files, it stores other directories as well. I don't think this part is even needed though.
In addition, since 2002 thousands of ESP/ESM files have been created, some with truly outstanding content. Because of this, \OCS{} is
+committed to supporting ESP/ESM files.
since morrowind is actually using ESM files for the original game world, we can't say this is fully correct. In general, the reason behind the esp support are plugins that makes morrowind such a great game — but we clearly don't want to continue creating esp and esm files for the OpenMW when there is a clearly a superior solution.

Overall good work on stylistic side. Correct outlined fragments, send me a pull request and i will merge it. Also, i think that github system for code commenting is extreamly usefull for reviwing so We should use it instead of polutting forums. ;-)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I just pushed some stub files to my manual branch. If anybody wants to start writing, but have no idea what needs to be written, perhaps he can check those.