3D editing

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
AnyOldName3

Re: 3D editing

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Like in Blender? I'd be keen, but I'm not sure how ready our hotkey system is yet. I know the plan is for everything to be rebindable, and I've seen an interface for that before, but don't know if it was wired up to anything.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

My vote goes for:

Alt + Left Mouse Button: Holding this combination will allow you to "tumble" or rotate the camera around a central pivot.

Alt + Right Mouse Button: "Dolly" or move the camera in and out. This can also be accomplished with your mouse's scroll wheel, however, the dolly command is more precise.

Alt + Middle Mouse Button: Allows you to pan/track the camera, shifting the viewport horizontally or vertically while maintaining a constant angle of view.

F: Frame on object
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Camera movement and object movement are different things.

For mouse inputs, there is a base logic:
Primary edit, default: RMB
Secondary edit, default: Ctrl + RMB
Primary select, default: MMB
Secondary select, default: Ctrl + RMB

Each of these may have different function in different editmodes. For the object movement, I was suggesting a Blender-style keyboard shortcuts (x, y and z) that would extend the Primary Edit / Secondary Edit. Some other keyboard shortcuts could be useful too, like "drop object to ground" and "drop object to first colliding object below", and should be easy to develop. Any other suggestions for object editing shortcuts?

LMB, Ctrl-LMB and scrollwheel are currently used for moving the camera. At least in Linux Xfce, Alt has a special function when moving windows, so using Alt would be in conflict with that. All of the shortcuts can be set in preferences though. Defaults should work in most systems though.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

unelsson wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 13:02 Some other keyboard shortcuts could be useful too, like "drop object to ground" and "drop object to first colliding object below", and should be easy to develop. Any other suggestions for object editing shortcuts?
There is precedent for this. The vanilla CS has the "F" hotkey to drop items to the ground/floor.

ST the rememberer
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Once 0.46 is released, please test it as much as possible, and report bugs and feature suggestions. I wonder if the following features are easy to use:

- terrain (heights) editing
- texture editing
- object placement
- camera movement

What would it require to make creation as easy as possible?

Btw. Object dropping discussed earlier is implemented, along with other stuff.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

unelsson wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:49 Once 0.46 is released, please test it as much as possible, and report bugs and feature suggestions. I wonder if the following features are easy to use:

- texture editing
- object placement
- camera movement

What would it require to make creation as easy as possible?

Btw. Object dropping discussed earlier is implemented, along with other stuff.
I'll take the time this weekend to test the features out and give some feedback.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

unelsson wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:49 Once 0.46 is released, please test it as much as possible, and report bugs and feature suggestions. I wonder if the following features are easy to use:
Terrain height editing works solidly, but usability could definitely be improved:
  • It would be super useful to have shortcuts to change brush size / strength in the viewport without going to the interface. In Blender for example, you press a key, then drag the mouse to scale the brush and LMB to confirm or ESC to cancel the size change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XtAFU ... u.be&t=645
  • There is consistent lag when releasing the paint brush and the normals are calculated. The less lag between strokes, the more comfortable the painting will be.
  • When you initiate painting with the the first click on the terrain, it gives the impression the brush didn't make any changes. You only see the changes when you start moving the brush. Desired behavior is the first click would also affect the terrain. Further adding the effect can then work like it does now by moving the brush.
One nice thing is also how sculpting application use modifier keys to quickly change the painting effect of a brush. I know at least Zbrush and Blender do it. These modifier keys reduce going to the interface and allow the users to keep their focus on whatever mesh they are painting. https://youtu.be/L3XtAFUWNuk?t=617
  • hold CTRL for opposite effect of a brush (raise-lower, smooth-sharpen)
  • hold SHIFT to use the smoothing brush, regardless of the currently active brush
Also a bug I found with cell border drawing.
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/5473
unelsson wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:49 - camera movement
Implementing and fixing these issues would make the camera and view controls comfortable to use and ready for production work.

For object placement and texture editing, I'd have to test things some more to provide proper feedback.