Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by sirherrbatka »

I like it a lot.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like the look of these, but I am not entirely sure how they are matching to the toolbar buttons. The Saturn one is obviously the orbiting navigation mode. Sun/Moon: Day and night lighting modes? Lightbulb: Bright lighting?

The lighting icons might do the job (obviously we need to test them on the users). But I don't think the same can be said for the navigation modes. Even the Saturn one is only obvious, if you are looking for something orbiting.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I just noticed that none of the icons have the right size. For the scene toolbar we want 48x48.
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

I wasn't entirely sure of the icons to use for each mode, so I just kinda went with the names, what looked alright and what people suggested.

Okay, I'll try and get the 48x48s done tonight.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

In light of the fact that there are (at least) three viewing modes, I suggest you simplify them all to have a common element (such as an eye/set of eyes, or a camera) and add another element unique to each mode.

This simplification will make it easy to tell that they are all viewing modes.
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

That could be considered pointless if the icons are grouped together, and it could also make it harder to distinguish between them. I'm open to ideas and willing to try it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The eye symbol is kinda neat. Let's see ...

- An eye orbiting something; facing inwards (orbiting mode)
- An eye in a person (first person mode)
- A free floating eye (free camera)
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php ... w_pose.jpg
Ignoring the scantily clad model, why can't the icons be similar to the or any other 3d editing software? Simplicity is key, imo. no need to make things complicated with eyeballs and such. Once I make the connection that the icon is paired with its particular function, it doesn't matter if it's an eye, a sphere, or a potato.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I disagree with this statement. A good icon immediately creates an association with the function it represents (at least for the "average" user). If it doesn't do that, it is worse than useless.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Right, but then the user needs to be able to see what the icon represents. Aside from sticking an eye on each button is incredibly redundant, it's also clutter; it's already implied what they do if they are grouped together and placed in their proper context. They are grouped, aren't they?