Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
crysthala

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by crysthala »

Okulo wrote:Thanks, it's from Hamlet.
Yeah, I know, I have that version on DVD. David Tennant is one of my very favorite actors. :p
See, I'm used to Google Drive or something. Uh. This is really weird. It's probably not nearly as hard as I'm making it... okay, I've typed in the commands and it seems to have uploaded to my "fork," but I can't see it in the actual one. This is so embarrassing.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Okay, I am looking at your branch right now. You seem to have added three files. Now if you want your contributions to be added to the main branch, you will need to send a pull request. Zini will then get a message saying that you sent a request that your contributions get "pulled into" the main project.

Go to the page of your branch. Just above the files list there's a green button. Click that.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Thanks so much, Okulo! :) I would have been lost without your guidance. <3
Zini

Post by Zini »

In integrated the icons into the code (changes are in the master branch).
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Hey crysthala, you might like to see this if you're still in tutorial mode and you want to see what happened.

See how your work is shown there? "render lighting icons". That's around the time where you uploaded the files to your branch and made the pull request, right?

Then two hours later Zini's commit: "Merge remote-tracking branch 'crysthala/master'. What happened was that git looked at the differences between what openmw/master looked like when you forked it and then what you made of your branch (crysthala/master) since then. The difference was those three pictures, so the master was then changed to include those changes you made. Your work got absorbed into the collective.

Thanks to that, Zini could do some more work today: "added lighting mode toolbar icons". If you click on that title, you can see what he did: He changed three lines in scenewidget.cpp and added five lines to resources.qrc, the latter of which are references to your pictures.

To commemorate this occasion, your profile page now shows a green blip where you contributed.

Git is pretty cool.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Ooooooh. That's really cool, actually. I feel all accomplished and stuff. :D And I joined the wiki group and updated the list to show they've been done.

I've been thinking about how to do the render views as well. Made some icons. They're based on the ones nomadic made. Left is orbit, center is first-person, right is freecam. What do you think, guys? If you like them, I can git you the PNGs--48x48.
cameradude.jpg
cameradude.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not sure. The art style looks okay-ish to me from a consistency point of view, but I leave that to people to discuss, who are better than me at these things.

From a functionality point of view I see some problems. The first icon is okay. It adequately conveys the idea of an orbiting camera. The other two icons however do not. If I would look at them and did not know what they meant, I wouldn't be able to guess the meaning. Actually, even if I knew that one is free mode and the other is 1st person mode, I wouldn't be able to decide with certainty which is which.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Fair enough. Good practice, anyway. :p Tricky problem, though... Maybe, for the free cam, I could stick little wings on the camera? Not sure about the first-person one, though, that's a hard one. :?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

BTW:

Can We decided when do we use eye and when camera metaphor?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We decide on one and stick with it. Outside of these three icons this metaphor isn't used anyway.
I don't have a strong opinion on which to choose, though the eye is simpler which may be an advantage considering the limited resolution.