Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
crysthala

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by crysthala »

Hmmmm... Whipped up them both in about five minutes. I might be getting a little better at this. 8-)
oh god creepy.png
oh god creepy.png (7.2 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
ineye.png
ineye.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
The eyeball-head-guy creeps me out, and if we're going to use him, I'll clean his colors up a little--they don't match the vibrance of the eye. I made his body for the camera one, then just adapted it for this as a concept, so.

I can't decide, personally, which is a better metaphor. Which do you guys prefer? Or do you have yet another idea to try? (If this were a commissioned project and not volunteer, I'd be charging so much extra... :twisted:)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Wow, this icon is really hard. I agree the first one is a bit creepy. The 2nd one doesn't really expresses "1st person". Well, I am out of ideas here. I think we need to get more people involved. But that will lead us to a solution. Anyway, any input?
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Personally I like this freaky guy better than the 'eye from inside' picture (the second in this post), that I understood only after having read the explanations.

@sirherrbatka: are you speaking of this kind of tooltip?
tooltip.png
I find it useful. Also in this case I think the text will convey the meaning more easily than the icons.

Do anyone know of an other software that uses icons for camera modes? Perhaps we can mimic/adapt what's done outside.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Yeah, gun to the head, I'd pick the guy with an eyeball for a head, as potatoesmaster said. The other icon looks like someone is getting blinded by a ladybird that shoots lasers. But I'm also with lysol who said that giving him a camera for a head would've been plenty clear as well.
Last edited by Okulo on 29 Jul 2014, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

The eyeball-head guy is creepy but awesome... I love it.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Consensus seems to be Eyeball Head Guy. Very well, let's do the creep. Let me clean up his colors a bit:
oh god creepy.png
oh god creepy.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
*eerie music plays* WE SHALL MOD FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THIS MONSTER. *music reaches shrieking crescendo*
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

crysthala wrote:Consensus seems to be Eyeball Head Guy. Very well, let's do the creep. Let me clean up his colors a bit:
oh god creepy.png
*eerie music plays* WE SHALL MOD FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THIS MONSTER. *music reaches shrieking crescendo*
That eyeball guy is hilarious. He reminds me of something though but I am not sure what. Like I have seen something very similiar somewhere.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay then. Seems the community has spoken. Awaiting a pull request.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Pull request sent. I think. Pretty sure. GitHub is weird. But the green button says "Open" and all the files seem to be in there, so I think I'm good.

All right, there are plenty more icons, right? Should I open another thread for them, or do we do that in here?
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

crysthala wrote:Consensus seems to be Eyeball Head Guy. Very well, let's do the creep. Let me clean up his colors a bit:
oh god creepy.png
Haha, I really like this icon.

Only other thing I can think of that gets the point across is, like, a tiny doom hand:

but I don't know that having an icon rely on familiarity with a completely different genre of game is a good idea.