Scene Subview

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Scene Subview

Post by Zini »

Here is my first attempt at a scene subview (don't get excited, no rendering yet):
Screenshot1.png
The general idea is (as usual) to have an interface that is as compact as possible and has as little clutter as possible.

We have the rendering widget in the middle.

At the bottom we have the standard status bar (can be switched off), which informs us about the number of selected records (we may add more scene specific information later).

At the top we have the usual record filter bar. This is intended to work on the reference table. You could for example select a filter the removes from rendering "all those ugly big trees that get in the way when editing ground foliage" (TM).

On the left we have a toolbar. Each button represents a separate feature and will pop up a transient panel when clicked:
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot3.png
(Icons are random placeholder).

In the case shown you can select one of 3 modes and when the panel is closed the original button will also represent the selected mode. Keyboard navigation is available and we may add some keyboard shortcuts later.

Currently I am considering these buttons (from the top to the bottom):

1. Lighting mode (e.g. no additional light, ambient light, daylight)
2. Navigation mode (how the camera is moved by the mouse)
3. Cell selection
4. Editing mode (which editing tool is selected; e.g. terrain editing, reference editing)
Button 4 will spawn additional buttons below itself, depending on which tool is selected.
sirherrbatka

Re: Scene Subview

Post by sirherrbatka »

Here is my first attempt at a scene subview
Oh man, this gonna be epic…
don't get excited, no rendering yet
Damn!

Anyway, I think We really need to consider how the camera will be moved. I opt for having blender-like-behavior for close view and some kind of "eagle eye view" suitable for editing large areas.
Zini

Post by Zini »

No reason to limit it to two modes. I have at least 4 in mind, but these need to be discussed a bit more when the implementation is farer ahead.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

The camera movement is a biggie for me. It would be excellent to have several control modes.

One like the vanilla CS. Its awful but people have a hard time letting go.
And one like 3ds max/maya. Another like blender. And I would love to have one that allows movement like in the Unreal Editor. Its just the best.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

SGMonkey wrote:The camera movement is a biggie for me. It would be excellent to have several control modes.

One like the vanilla CS. Its awful but people have a hard time letting go.
And one like 3ds max/maya. Another like blender. And I would love to have one that allows movement like in the Unreal Editor. Its just the best.
Different options for movement are fine. One for mouse dragging, one for key board etc etc etc. No need to title it as per other programs. And I always hated the movement in the CS anyway, it was awkward.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

sirherrbatka wrote:
Here is my first attempt at a scene subview
Oh man, this gonna be epic…
don't get excited, no rendering yet
Damn!

Anyway, I think We really need to consider how the camera will be moved. I opt for having blender-like-behavior for close view and some kind of "eagle eye view" suitable for editing large areas.
I really like the way in valve's hammer editor, you can hold down a key (z, i think) to get FPS like controls.
Nice and intuitive when you just wanna move around a bit.