Scripts

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Scripts

Post by Zini »

WIP screenshot:

Edit: Please ignore the ugly colour scheme.
Attachments
openmw1.png
scrawl

Re: Scripts

Post by scrawl »

Nice.

With the current dock widget architecture, is it possible to support screen layout settings like in Blender?
You can think of them like workspaces on your desktop, only on the application level. For example Blender has one for video editing and one for UV editing. It's also possible to customize them and make your own of course. We could have one preconfigured for script editing, one for cell editing, etc.
Zini

Post by Zini »

With the current dock widget architecture, is it possible to support screen layout settings like in Blender?
You can think of them like workspaces on your desktop, only on the application level. For example Blender has one for video editing and one for UV editing. It's also possible to customize them and make your own of course. We could have one preconfigured for script editing, one for cell editing, etc.
Probably not. The whole system is very much dynamic and I expect users to add and delete subviews all the time. Any kind of fixed layout would be of limited use, I guess.
Zini

Post by Zini »

But it should be possible to add such a feature with a bit of extra work. I don't see that as the primary way of using the CS. Maybe we can have an editor plugin that provides a blender-ish layout feature.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Have you actually used blender? Its not a fixed layout. You can add/delete/rearrange "subviews" (as you call them) and they are saved when you switch back and forth between different screen layouts (or closing blender and loading the same file again). That's what I meant with them being customizable.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Been a while since I touched Blender and my memories may be somewhat vague. But that sounds a pretty static for what I had in mind for the editor (certainly a lot more static than anything I would use). Still tending to implementing that as a plugin, so that it does not add clutter to the UI for those people who don't need it. Should be easy though. All we need to do is keeping track of the size and position of docked widgets and the UniversalId that is associated with them.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Colour scheme gets more ugly with every iteration:
openmw2.png
Anyway, done for now. This is all I can do without some major reorganisation for the compiler.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I don't know how to use that but it looks great! I wonder, should it have a save/apply/undo/revert etc so we don't accidentally slip some random character into a script without knowing it?

I use Blender all week for job. For the most part you would setup the windows layouts "on the fly" whenever you needed them. Say your modelling and need to open the UV editor, another camera angle or simply a timeline, you would just drag up a new subview and switch the mode of that subview.
Only when doing a major change of roles would you use the "preset" layouts. For example going from 3dmodel to Video editing or Animation, because these require major adjustments to the layout it's just much quicker to have presets which you can then adjust further if need be. They're not anything like modes but just shortcuts to a different layout suitable for a different purpose.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I wonder, should it have a save/apply/undo/revert etc so we don't accidentally slip some random character into a script without knowing it?
Nope. We don't need save and we don't do apply. Undo/redo is integrated into the editor-wide undo/redo.
I use Blender all week for job. For the most part you would setup the windows layouts "on the fly" whenever you needed them. Say your modelling and need to open the UV editor, another camera angle or simply a timeline, you would just drag up a new subview and switch the mode of that subview.
Only when doing a major change of roles would you use the "preset" layouts. For example going from 3dmodel to Video editing or Animation, because these require major adjustments to the layout it's just much quicker to have presets which you can then adjust further if need be. They're not anything like modes but just shortcuts to a different layout suitable for a different purpose.
I can see the point, but the CS is not blender. We just don't have much in terms of useful preset layouts.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

How would you feel about having a "use external editor" button? just saves to a temp file and runs $EDITOR on that file, like visudo.