Icons: Showcase

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
riidom

Re: Icons

Post by riidom »

Hi Peter and everyone else who reads this,

I think it is not a big problem to include the ability to choose an iconset in the editor. Also, I didn't post my icons because I think your ones are bad! I just like the task of thinking about how to put a certain message/label into such a little picture, and this is a good opportunity for it.
In fact, while I compared yours with mines, I found my ones very blurry and greyish, and lit them a little up.
omwi_container_22.png
omwi_container_22.png (855 Bytes) Viewed 5077 times
omwi_door_22.png
omwi_door_22.png (846 Bytes) Viewed 5077 times
omwi_misc_22.png
omwi_misc_22.png (821 Bytes) Viewed 5077 times
omwi_weapons_22.png
omwi_weapons_22.png (833 Bytes) Viewed 5077 times
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I really don't know, my PERSONAL opinion is that those icons look a little too mouch like 1990s.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The text icon is a complete no go. If we want to use text, then there is no point in using an icon.

As for the button look, I am sceptical about that too. If it makes the user think this is something he can click, then we certainly did something wrong and I am afraid PeterBitt's current design might cause this reaction.

I do like riidom's icon set, but I am worried that we can not convey enough information if we don't use more colour.
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

sirherrbatka wrote:I really don't know, my PERSONAL opinion is that those icons look a little too mouch like 1990s.
I agree with that, those are indeed not very modern icons, both riidom's and mine.

I am afraid I am not able to do much better within a reasonable time frame, it's up to you guys to decide wich way you want to have it. I know I am not a proper icon-designer so don't worry if you don't like my stuff!

On a side note - Are the OpenMW and OpenCS logos finalized or are you guys open for new suggestions?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Just wanted to link to Nomadic1's icons, they are imo the best ones yet but were posted in another thread so maybe you have not seen them.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1421&start=20#p15224

@sir, wouldn't it be a good idea to close one of the threads and/or merge them.
sirherrbatka

Icons: Showcase

Post by sirherrbatka »

Show and discuss your icons here.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Nomadic1's are pretty good. Is he planning on doing the rest?

But I still like yours better, PeterBitt. I like the border and I don't think it would give the impression of a button. And anyway, anyone using the program for more than 10 minutes would understand that they were just icons. On top of that, I prefer you sense of proportion and style. But alas, I am but one voice.