What is the scope of the editor?

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
LaylaAlder

What is the scope of the editor?

Post by LaylaAlder »

Will the OpenMW Construction Kit/editor aim for a similar setup to the original? Or will we be able be more flexible in what we can add and change with it? Like, lets say I wish to add new spell types such as concentration and traps you saw in Skyrim, or maybe I wanted to add Water, Wind, and Stone as damage types. Would that be something we're able to do?

So will we be limited to working within what was within Morrowind? Or can we add new things, and or make notable changes?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: What is the scope of the editor?

Post by psi29a »

OpenMW-CS is not a drop-in replacement to TESCS, as it is focused on supporting OpenMW and its features. We also do not follow the design choices of TESCS since we consider it to be hot garbage.

However OpenMW-CS does not get as much love as OpenMW does, but we're slowly getting there. You can create a world from scratch and it should 'just work'. We also have a template you can use to help get past a lot of details and get right to designing things. Or you can start modifying Morrowind itself too.

There are also branches that put in some experimental support for Oblivion as well.
LaylaAlder

Post by LaylaAlder »

Hmm... so thinking of a few different scenarios I can think of that to my knowledge the TESCS isn't able to do:

1: Adding/Changing Attributes (ex: adding Dexterity as an attribute)
2: Changing formulas (ex: Hit chance, damage, etc)
3: Adding new Major/Minor skills (ex: Survival)
4: Ability to toggle Major/Minor skills on and off (ex: Skills based on factions instead of universal)
5: Ability to add new Unattributed skills (ex: adding Fire skill, has no associated stat)
6: Ability to add new damage types (Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning, Stone, Water, Air, Sun, Moon, etc)
7: Ability to add new enchant effects (ex: Trigger on Swing)
8: Ability to add new spell shapes (such as Concentration and Trap spells from skyrim)
9: Ability to change behavior of certain skills/flags (ex: Allowing one-handed spears)

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty of other ideas people can think of. Is there anything you see here that you think will be outside the scope of the OpenMW CS? I figure before someone like me gets lofty ideas about what's possible, it's important to ground our expectations so that we can work within the framework instead of fighting against it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Some of those look like they're going to be the job of Lua scripts rather than the editor itself. You'll attach the scripts to the game in the editor, but we're not aiming to implement a static record type and form to fill in for every conceivable feature when it's more flexible to let mod and game authors program their desired behaviour in a programming language.