Making better use of Ogre's capbilities?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
jhooks1

Re: Making better use of Ogre's capbilities?

Post by jhooks1 »

Alright, I am going to start on fixing the problem with jittery animations.. I am unable to get the current master to work right now though, need to get it working first.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

After spending countless hours poking around with the code, I have gotten rid of the floating problem. Previously npcs were slightly floating about in areas they weren't supposed to; the ashzombie floated upwards at the end of its animation (made a video showing this). Last and current Values (Quaternions, Translations, and Rotations) were running one keyframe behind their iterator (which we accessed for time). I made a branch animationsmooth containing changes.

Unfortunately, the jerkiness problem remains. There is one more thing I wanted to try (NifSkope's time index function), but I don't think it will fix it.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I spoke too soon. I got EVERYTHING working now 100 Percent :D :D :D :D :D :D .

There is no jitteriness/jerkiness now, and no floating of npcs and creatures when they are not supposed to. I committed the code to my animationsmooth branch, check it out.

This looks so much better, animations are just as smooth as they were before we used Ogre for animation. I highly recommend this goes into .17.

EDIT: Made a bug issue on tracker, set to 100 percent.
Last edited by jhooks1 on 18 Aug 2012, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Sounds awesome, great job Jhooks1!
Zini

Post by Zini »

No last minute changes for 0.17.0 please. It can go into 0.18.0.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Zini wrote:No last minute changes for 0.17.0 please. It can go into 0.18.0.
Ok, well the animations looked kinda bad and had issues before the change I just made.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm not sure I quite understand how your code works. The way it used to work, it would take the latest [rot|trans|scale] key up to the current time index being processed, and the next [rot|trans|scale] key just after that, and interpolated between the two given the time. E.g.

Code: Select all

last------cur
      ^
   curtime
However, now it looks like it's taking the last key, and the one after the next one, e.g.

last------(next)------cur
      ^
   curtime
It seems to effectively skip every other animation key. Why is this?

EDIT:
Uhg, I think I see (just after I posted that). I was incrementing the iterator after using it to get the cur value. Effectively,

last------cur------(next)
                ^
             curtime
I'm surprised my code worked at all. :x
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Have you tried checking how it looks with "better bodies" now? I remember it was completely messed up when you started working on this.

Anyways good job
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Necrod wrote:Have you tried checking how it looks with "better bodies" now? I remember it was completely messed up when you started working on this.

Anyways good job
I am wondering about this myself. I hope the part selection by NiTriShape name works. If it doesn't, it's back to the drawing board...
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Fix never got merged in.