[Task 4858] Shadows settings in launcher and game.

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
4544fa8d

[Task 4858] Shadows settings in launcher and game.

Post by 4544fa8d »

Hello,

Four days ago I started to work on this task https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/4858.
Spoiler: Show
Work is almost done, but I have some questions.

Questions:
1. Should I use GMST strings in game settings window? I've added those strings to game: Enable shadows, Actor shadows, Player shadows, Terrain shadows, Object shadows, Indoor shadows, Shadow map resolution (%sx%s), Number of shadow maps (%s). I'm guessing that any of them is not present in original Morrowind. How to provide ability to translate strings not present in Morrowind?
2. What settings should be present in game and launcher? Those present on screenshots are enough?
3. What is minimum and maximum value for setting "Shadow map resolution"?
Capostrophic

Re: [Task 4858] Shadows settings in launcher and game.

Post by Capostrophic »

1. Don't add GMSTs. You can reuse them, but there's only one related GMST (sShadows) and it can only be used as the title for the settings section.
2. Don't add settings into the launcher.
3. It's in fact too early to add settings anywhere.
4. There's no way to have localized strings at the moment.
5. You're not supposed to provide such a way on your own.
6. There's technically no maximum or minimum value, but the available range is supposed to be kept sensible (powers of two from 512 to 4096).
7. It makes sense to have *all* settings marked as "main settings" from the documentation available to the user freely.
Sagacity

Re: [Task 4858] Shadows settings in launcher and game.

Post by Sagacity »

I would consider values up to 8192 reasonable. Everything else I generally agree with.