Changelog

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: Changelog

Post by Zini »

> How would he be most affected? (I get the idea that you think this will a lot more work for devs when it really isn't.)

Well, I assume he will at some point pick up merging PRs to a significant degree. And this is more work for the person who is doing the merging/reviewing. He has to check if the changelog entry is there (and up to our standards) and he has to handle potential merge conflicts.

Now that is only a small task, but it has to be performed on every single PR and piles up onto the various other little tasks that need to be handed during the merge process. Personally I find that this kind of little tasks is wearing me down quite a lot (if they exist in significant numbers); a lot more than having everything batched up into one larger task that I can do all at once. Of course that is only my personal opinion. I don't know how scrawl feels about it. That's why I suggested to wait for him to state his opinion.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Just an idea: Since there are so many opinions and varying perceptions about this, how about we do a test run once 0.44.0 is released? We can then evaluate the results at the 0.45.0 release and decide if we want to keep the new scheme or return to the old one.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Are we still up for a test run? If yes, now would be the time to get going (contributor documentation at least).
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm up for it, let me know how I fit into the process!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Well... I'll get the ball started the coming days by creating the file, to set the template unless someone else does it before me.

Just means that before we accept PRs, we ask kindly to add an entry to the changelog if it hasn't already been done.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Right. I just added a section heading for 0.45 to the changelog, so people have a place to put their change log messages.

@raevol: There isn't anything you need to do about it yourself. However you do have the option now to monitor the changelog file and write the public changelog alongside instead of doing it all at once at the beginning of the RC phase.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini

Post by Zini »

Correct.