Shadows

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
AnyOldName3

Re: Shadows

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I just got a response from Robert Osfield to some of my questions I posted on the OSG forums, and apparently, he suggests that we roll our own shadow implementation. He also told me off quite harshly for not using my real name, and specifically for my pseudonym being AnyOldName3, and now I'm scared to ask follow-up questions because I'm not coming up with another pseudonym just for OSG and I don't want to pollute their mailing list by having a contrarian argument.

The thread is here in case anyone wants to take a look: http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=16897
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

That's the Robert I know, he can be harsh :lol:
One thing that I have noticed is that we only apply specular lighting for light zero. While this made shadowing specular highlights from just light zero really easy, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing we necessarily want to be doing.
Currently, there isn't any way for Morrowind lights to specify a specular color. We just do it for the sun/moon light with a value from the ini file that sort of makes sense. Pending a way for the other lights to have specular colors, it's best to skip their specular calculations for performance reasons.
lysol

Post by lysol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 14:10 He also told me off quite harshly for not using my real name, and specifically for my pseudonym being AnyOldName3, and now I'm scared to ask follow-up questions because I'm not coming up with another pseudonym just for OSG and I don't want to pollute their mailing list by having a contrarian argument.
Just post this video in that thread and then ask your follow-up questions.

Seriously though, while he has every right to think your username is stupid (though I don't see how), he has no real reason to feel and act offended because of it. If they have a policy on the OSG forums to only use real names, then they can tell you that without being an ass.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

I looked into the post, and forgive me for saying this, but I would kindly tell someone like that to @#$% off. AnyOldName3 is clever, and it is certainly not the worst I've seen (I have a friend with the user name Party4lyfe :roll:).

Of course, mine comes from an old N64 game called Aidyn Chronicles. It was the name of a small, wyvern-like creature you would sometimes find and battle in the wild.

I chose that name because I liked the creature, and it's also unique enough that I never have to use numerical or special characters with it (a peeve of mine). Nonetheless, most people have no idea what its origin is, or how to say it. Would he call it stupid, too? That would make him a hypocrite.

ŝajnas al mi, ke li estas nur alia diko kun potenca vojaĝo.

I would never support anything with a lead like that, and would actively go out of my way to avoid using his product. I suppose it's a good thing I lost interest in software development, haha. I'll just let y'all deal with him, and I'll keep reaping the benefits. :lol:
Last edited by Dyskos on 22 Sep 2017, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I came up with AnyOldName3 when I was about twelve because I couldn't think of a good username for something, probably RuneScape, and have used it ever since. Because I've used it for so long, it barely even feels like a pseudonym anymore. Anyhow, it looks like my real name is the one that shows up on the mailing list so I don't gain much by using a username instead as everyone can see the real one. I'd managed to keep AnyOldName3 from being convertible to my real name by anyone who didn't already know me for years, and it's OSG that broke that.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

drakovyrn wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 01:48I would never support anything with a lead like that, and would actively go out of my way to avoid using his product. I suppose it's a good thing I lost interest in software development, haha. I'll just let y'all deal with him, and I'll keep reaping the benefits. :lol:
Keep in mind that these people are used to dealing with others that abrasive and it rubs people the wrong way. Look at Linus as the poster child of that kind of behaviour. Don't take it personally, keep it technical. So long as there are no personal attacks, then it's fine.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Just change your name to robertIMANASSHOLEosfield and if he has an issue refer to his advice that you pick one of the "many cool names in fiction".

Seriously though, fuck this guy. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. We wouldn't tolerate that in our community.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

psi29a wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 06:46Keep in mind that these people are used to dealing with others that abrasive and it rubs people the wrong way. Look at Linus as the poster child of that kind of behaviour. Don't take it personally, keep it technical. So long as there are no personal attacks, then it's fine.
I think that's sort of my point. As a Linux user, I can understand many of Linus' actions, especially because what he wants most is quality. Whether flipping NVIDIA the bird, or rejecting shitty code, it's all for the greater good of Linux.

Even though I don't like Apple or their products, Jobs was a dick because his goal, above all else, was quality. Don't have to like the guy, but I can respect him.

Ideally, keeping it technical is how the game should be played, even if some criticisms regarding methods and quality appear harsh. Surely, everyone should be expected to keep a standard, and if not, up their game.

But robertosfield? His comments were purely superfluous, and beyond petty. It was nothing less than personal. AnyOldName3's username has nothing to do with the possible implementation of shadows, nor his individual personal conduct, and AON3 was nothing less than polite and professional in his post.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Replied: http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72036

It appears there is a bridge between the forums and the mailing list:
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinf ... egraph.org

He replies to the ML and it is strict there. Was the original question asked on the ML or on the forum? (Does it even matter?)

Eitherway, he pretty much said that osgShadow isn't really anything they are interested in improving.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I didn't realize they had a real-name rule there. He could have just pointed that out in the first post, rather than being a child about it.