0.11.1 Release

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Star-Demon

Re: 0.11.1 Release

Post by Star-Demon »

interesting bug.

As I go forward outside, Every time a new cell is loaded in front of me, The music changes.
Launcher doesn't work.
Readme is a block of text.
How do I open journal and generate a Messagebox?
Zini

Post by Zini »

As I go forward outside, Every time a new cell is loaded in front of me, The music changes.
I can't see anything in the code that might explain this bug. On every region change yes, on every cell change no. But on the other hand at least the sound code in the framelistener is problematic and at least partial broken (not to mention the fact that it shouldn't even be there in the first place). I guess we will have to clean up here first.
Launcher doesn't work.
"Doesn't work" is not an acceptable error description.
Readme is a block of text.
Line endings? git normally converts these, if configured properly. I assume you are using the binary package? This would indicate that Ace's git client is not configured properly.
How do I open journal and generate a Messagebox?
We don't have a GUI for the journal yet. For the message box either play through some part of the game that uses it (e.g. the very beginning of the game; be sure to use --new-game and --start switches when running OpenMW) or open it via the console. The command is MessageBox. Look it up in the UESP wiki, if you are unsure about the syntax.
corristo

Post by corristo »

AFAIK, d3dx9_43.dll (and similar-named files) should be included in the lates Direct X update (google "direct x redist"), I don't think we should ship dll, we can distribute appropriate Direct X web installer with OpenMW, or notice user that he should update his Direct X.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I looked through the bugs;

The launcher works for me if there's a correct data file path in OpenMW (Perhaps the Launcher should warn and/or ask the user if there isn't one?).
I noticed that I'd forgotten to include the Readme into my release, so if there is one there it's probably been added by someone else (Thanks?).

Unfortunately I won't get missing DLL errors on my test rig as it has the latest redists installed already, perhaps I should package it in the next release.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The launcher works for me if there's a correct data file path in OpenMW (Perhaps the Launcher should warn and/or ask the user if there isn't one?).
Not really. An incorrectly installed/configured application is allowed to crash. Also, from 0.12 on we will have suitable defaults, that should work out of the box for most people.
I noticed that I'd forgotten to include the Readme into my release, so if there is one there it's probably been added by someone else (Thanks?).
Right. I forgot about that. Well, it needs to be replaced.
Unfortunately I won't get missing DLL errors on my test rig as it has the latest redists installed already, perhaps I should package it in the next release.
I don't know how to best deal with this problem, but for now we probably should err on the side of user friendliness and distribute the DLL alongside.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Woah sorry guys, I go out on a Friday night and everything blows up. I put the readme into the windows package, but I just downloaded it from the Git webpage.

Regarding making the changelog more human-readable, I unfortunately am not familiar enough with each of the individual issues to properly write them up? I know some of them from reading the forums, but some of them are very old changes, and some happen without much forum discussion, so I don't know how to describe them. What should we do about this?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, there is always our bug tracker: http://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap
(you need to tick the "Show completed versions" options in the sidebar to see 0.11).
Click on the issue number to get a closer description.

You can merge all launcher related issues into one "We have a launcher now" type item. All refactoring and cleanup issues (marked with the keyword "Task" in this release) can be merged into one item "Code refactoring and clean up". No need to get into details here.

Everything else should be mentioned though. Please go through the description and see what you can make from them. If there are some you absolutely can't make sense of, list them here and I will explain them. Also, I would like to repeat my offer to proofread the announcement for technical accuracy.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:Also, I would like to repeat my offer to proofread the announcement for technical accuracy.
I should have had you proofread it anyway, and that would have prevented this issue. I will be sure to from now on!

Here's an attempt at a better changelog:

- Launcher implemented
- Code optimization and cleanup
- Fix to allow resource loading outside of BSA files
- Fix to search for openmw.cfg in the correct locations
- Added the TCL alias for ToggleCollision
- Added missing cfg file support for some command line options
- Added reporting of resulting state to Toggle-type script instructions
- Fix for NPC record loading failure due to unhandled type
- Implemented back-end for player journal
- Implemented MessageBox
- Implemented tab-completion in console
- Implemented handling multiple data directories
- Added support for accessing objects in cells via ID with mixed case IDs
- Implemented better version support

Bug #3: GUI does not render non-English characters
^ how was this resolved?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Code: Select all

^ how was this resolved?
Lgro did this.
http://openmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=125
Zini

Post by Zini »

^ how was this resolved?
Turned out is wasn't a rendering problem at all. Just the encoding got in the way. Morrowind.esm uses some pre-Unicode encodings, while OpenMW uses UTF-8 and non-ASCII characters were not converted properly between these.

I have a few minor corrections:
- Fix for NPC record loading failure due to unhandled type
That was the error message, but actually the problem was the NPC's ID being interpreted as a topic ID. I guess you don't have to go into these details, but the way you rewrote the quoted error message is a bit misleading.
- Added support for accessing objects in cells via ID with mixed case IDs
Not just mixed case, but all upper case too. And I would rewrite the item to a fix-type message. This issue was erroneously flagged as a feature in the tracker, while it actually was a bug.
- Implemented better version support
Somewhat misleading too. Since this is mostly a code maintenance issue (the only new feature here is the --version command line switch), I suggest we drop this one too. "Code optimization and cleanup" kinda covers it anyway.

I think you should mention the performance optimisations in a separate entry, since these are particular notable. But while you are at it, you should also mention that we are not done yet with performance optimisations and more will come in the future.

The rest looks good. Once we got a fixed Windows package we can continue with the release.