Better windows build instructions

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Lenny

Better windows build instructions

Post by Lenny »

Hey,
so on the irc there have been multiple complaints (from myself included) about not being able to set up a build environment on windows and thus not being able to contribute, even the wiki page about it itself states that it's outdated.

It would be awesome if who ever maintains the windows builds could remake the guide, possibly without one having to manually create tons of env variables and also some instructions on how to get all the libraries working for 64bit builds
AnyOldName3

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The guide on the wiki isn't much help as it doesn't even mention the easy way of getting set up. There's actually a script that'll set up everything properly (including downloading dependencies) and spit out a Visual Studio solution. All you need installed is cmake, msysgit and 7z (which need to be available from the command line) as well as VS 2013 or 2015, then you can just clone the git repo, and run the CI/before_script.msvc.sh script from git bash. (It obviously won't work right if you do it from Windows Subsystem for Linux, and less obviously, also doesn't work from within Cygwin).
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Woa that's actually awesome, will try now
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I thought I added a link to that quick-setup guide on the Wiki?

https://gist.github.com/ananace/de7f30454e99b3952405

Just updated it with what should be the best method for now.
Last edited by Ace (SWE) on 29 Jan 2018, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Your requirements at the top of that guide state that VS 2013 is required, not VS 2013 or 2015. You've updated it lower in the document, though.

EDIT: ... and I'm not seeing any reference to the build script on the wiki, so if you think you added it, it might have been on the wrong page or something.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Right, fixed those small issues as well, should hopefully be enough information to help turbocharge the environment setup.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

btw, the wiki is slowly being migrated to github/rtd. Just a heads up that when the page is migrated, then it will be removed from the wiki.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Got a link to that?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Are we planning on migrating more than just the user documentation from the wiki? I have only been moving stuff from that section. As a side note, have we seen any recent action in the developer documentation area in a while?