lvl 52 Marksman vs lvl 40 shortsword. Do you hate Marksmen?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
trelaine

lvl 52 Marksman vs lvl 40 shortsword. Do you hate Marksmen?

Post by trelaine »

I've worked pretty hard to get my marksman level up only to find it's constantly defeated by other weapons. And even those other weapons have a hard time. What did you guys do to the attack values on this game?

To prove my point I've posted a video here of me and my daedric bow against a Racer. In the end I had to take it down with less than half a dozen hits from my flame shortsword. I'm a lvl 52 marks, my short is lvl 40... What gives?

Does someone in your development group have issues against marksmen? Per this game it would seem so.

View my video here:
https://youtu.be/RAHsAD5VgNo

This is just WRONG...

Cheers,
Trelaine
sjek

Re: lvl 52 Marksman vs lvl 40 shortsword. Do you hate Marksm

Post by sjek »

maybe the hitbox is lower than vanilla or the detection more accurate. you hit it only once for fifth of the health (the yellow bar)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think the cliff racer is stuck on a rock and your arrows are disappearing when they bounce off the rock collision. Most of the time the yellow enemy health bar isn't even visible. The moment when the cliff racer moves away from the rock your arrows start hitting.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 18 Dec 2016, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

There is currently a bug with collision detection, if you shoot arrows too close to the target the hits may not be detected. https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3059

Make sure the enemy health bar shows up after you've shot, that way you know the collision is working.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

What would be a feasible way to fix this issue?
trelaine

Post by trelaine »

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a bug of some kind then. Not intentional as my fuming gamer's rage would have me say.

From a good distance my arrows do pretty well and realistic for lvl 52 marksman.

Still, my attacks in general (all weapons) seem to land less often then in the commercial game.

Tre
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

Yes, we hate marksmen. Those pesky archers need to learn how to fight like real men!

Jokes aside, I remember vanilla MW suffering from a similar issue -- when up-close to an NPC, the arrow's initial position would already be beyond the NPC, thus it had nothing to collide with. Cliff racers have quite a large collision box, though, so I doubt that's what's happening in this scenario. There is definitely a bug with collision detection.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

By the way: You wouldn't use a bow, if your opponent was right in front of you, would you? OpenMW is just a highly accurate archery simulator. Oh, and being a melee fighter in OpenMW isn't a great job either. Just have a look at all these guards hitting each other while trying to fight a rat. 8-)

If there is a problem with collision detection, why not move the arrow's spawn point to the archer's position? (Not the visual release point but the initial position for collision detection).
trelaine

Post by trelaine »

MiroslavR wrote:...Those pesky archers need to learn how to fight like real men! ...
Real men? You realize all archers descend from "Men in Tights", so that will never happen!