stats: drain, fortify, damage, restore

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
oakent

stats: drain, fortify, damage, restore

Post by oakent »

I recently filed bug https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3522, which is about the fact that drain magicka potions used when GCDLean is running wildly misbehave. I decided to look into it myself, and was able to trace it back to the fact that OpenMW treats "drain magicka" as a temporary reduction in max magicka, whereas vanilla treats it basically as temporary damage.

This difference is acknowledged in a source code comment (stat.hpp, line 125); understandably, it seems nobody's taken on the thorny problem of "rewriting the magic system." (For the curious, the reason it blows GCDLean up is that one of the mod scripts determines the player's max magicka by calling "player->ModCurrentMagicka 100000" followed by "player->GetMagicka" and then reverting the player's magicka to what it originally was. OpenMW's version of ModCurrentMagicka behaves unexpectedly when drain magicka is active, so everything falls apart.) From what I can tell, it's actually also the root cause of https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2680; that reporter indicated it was simply a UI problem, but OpenMW is actually tracking the stats differently than vanilla.

My question is this: Is the full extent of the correct vanilla behavior for this stuff documented anywhere, even if it's not implemented? I see in the wiki that there's been investigation into fortify magicka (i.e. magickaMultiplier and all that), but drain, damage, and restore, and particularly what happens when they start interacting, all seem important as well. (And I guess it's important to identify any differences with life and stamina, if they exist.) If there's a research gap here I can start filling it (I want my OpenMW with GCDLean, dammit), but I don't want to duplicate work.
CMAugust

Re: stats: drain, fortify, damage, restore

Post by CMAugust »

As I understand it, some stat scripting functions don't work properly even in Vanilla. There was a previous topic canvassing some of the issues (and a plea for someone to implement said functions in a better way) which may be related to your troubles. I too would love to see them resolved - although in my case I'm interested in using yalsm ;)

Sane GetStat, ModStat and SetStat
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

would recommend asking Hrnchamd -- as this was the person who had done more for decoding originally how Morrowind worked than anybody (AFAIK)

I believe if anyone would have an idea how vanilla Morrowind runs, its them

ST
oakent

Post by oakent »

Any idea how to contact them? They can't receive PMs on the Bethesda forums, and I figure they're as likely to accept a random Skype contact request as I am (zero).
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I am not sure -- ask the devs here? PM Hrnchamd from here? I know that there are replies from them here but I have no idea how active they are here lately.

ST the not-as-helpful-as-I'd-like-to-be