OSG port roadmap and design plans

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Okulo

Re: OSG port roadmap and design plans

Post by Okulo »

raevol wrote:If anyone wants to keep up with scrawls commit activity on his OSG work, you can look here: https://github.com/scrawl/openmw/commits/osg
commits wrote:Delete shiny
scrawl authored 7 days ago
That actually makes me feel kinda sad. Remember how excited we were when Shiny was implemented? Man, we spread those screenshots around everywhere. It was glorious. It's only fitting that its creator should retire it.
Hrnchamd

Post by Hrnchamd »

Chris wrote: As an aside, I wonder what NiStencilProperty's effect is supposed to be. The stencil buffer's purpose tends to be rather tightly bound to the rendering pipeline, and different rendering methods may use the stencil buffer differently. ...
This property's main use is to control triangle culling via FaceDrawMode rather than any kind of stencil operations. Plant geometry widely uses two-sided triangle rendering, and modded meshes may use a different culling direction for effects. Actual stencil use can be safely ignored as Morrowind does not require a stencil buffer to run.

While Morrowind supports rendering two-sided geometry, it doesn't perform two-sided lighting correctly; one side will have incorrect normals for the lighting. Many plant replacers will work around this by duplicating the leaf geometry, and instead of two-sided rendering, will invert the normals and the cull direction (via NiStencilProperty) on the duplicate.
mym
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/mym34

Post by mym »

Hrnchamd wrote:
Chris wrote:Many plant replacers will work around this by duplicating the leaf geometry, and instead of two-sided rendering, will invert the normals and the cull direction (via NiStencilProperty) on the duplicate.
Meaning decreased performances I suppose? What kind of impact? And OpenMW will uselessly run those work around...
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Added NPC rendering:
I'm not too happy with the performance though... if you recall, on page 3, I talked about the way OpenMW attaches skinned parts to their master skeleton. Currently we have to create another (redundant) copy of the skeleton for every skinned part that is attached, hurting performance. That is because neither Ogre's nor OSG's skinning systems support different bind matrices per mesh. I'm going to write a custom skinning system now to get rid of that limitation.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ok, so this was the first real OpenMW screenshot with OSG.
scrawl wrote:Image
And this was the second.
scrawl wrote: Image
You're full of surprises scrawl. And I love it! :D
raevol

Post by raevol »

scrawl wrote:I'm going to write a custom skinning system now to get rid of that limitation.
nbd

Sheesh. Keep up the amazing work scrawl. Really really excited to get to play your OSG code when it's ready.
TheOneWhoWatches

Post by TheOneWhoWatches »

Hrnchamd wrote:...
While Morrowind supports rendering two-sided geometry, it doesn't perform two-sided lighting correctly; one side will have incorrect normals for the lighting. Many plant replacers will work around this by duplicating the leaf geometry, and instead of two-sided rendering, will invert the normals and the cull direction (via NiStencilProperty) on the duplicate.
It was long ago,but if I remember correctly, old (official tes3) 3d max exporter doubled geometry for two-sided meshes while inverting normals...
robcbwilson

Post by robcbwilson »

raevol wrote:
scrawl wrote:I'm going to write a custom skinning system now to get rid of that limitation.
nbd

Sheesh. Keep up the amazing work scrawl. Really really excited to get to play your OSG code when it's ready.
Me too, I am even buying a new shiny PC to play Morrowind on as my current one is too old to contain all the awesomeness :lol:
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

I am curious Scrawl, do you feel that the OSG port will be ready for prime time by the time that 0.37 rolls around?
lysol

Post by lysol »

While I do check the OSG github-branch and the trello page almost daily, it would be nice if the roadmap on the first post got updated soon.

Meaning: I love watching your progress Scrawl, I want more!