Ashes of Apocalypse

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Cramal

Re: Ashes of Apocalypse

Post by Cramal »

Maybe the solution is to add an option which allow to resize all text by a multiplicative factor.
If all font are vectorial this can be done without losing anything
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I think the problem is the journal window is not resizeable as the dialogue and inventory type windows are, so just resizing the text may not help much.
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

OK, I've tried again with 0.35.0. I no longer fall through the floor in the UBA Boarder Control and there are no crashes with the mutants in Marat's Manor. A good number of scripts work. However:

-It seems GetDetected doesn't work currently as I seemed to sneak all the way through Outpost 21's Pawn Shop without Ashley Wood batting a single eye-lid. One quest has her scold you if she catches you in her shop.
-I can't get a disease from any of the mutants, though I could on the vanilla engine.
-Most of the barrier city tileset works fine, but there are a few meshes which are just bounding boxes and nothing else. Particularly the elevator, and I couldn't operate the elevator buttons to go between floors in the Outpost 21 Apartment Complex.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just tried as well... with 0.35 and got this:

Code: Select all

bcurtis@Wintermute:~/workspace/OpenMW/build$ OpenMW version 0.35.0 (revision e81d2a9dde)
Loading config file: /home/bcurtis/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg... done.
Loading config file: ./openmw.cfg... done.
Using default (English) font encoding.
Data dir /home/bcurtis/.wine/drive_c/aoa/Data Files
Data dir /home/bcurtis/.local/share/openmw/data
Sound output: OpenAL
Sound decoder: FFmpeg
Enumerated output devices:
  Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
Opened "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
Input #0, bink, from 'video\bethesda logo.bik':
  Duration: 00:00:07.36, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1194 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: binkvideo, yuv420p, 640x480, 30 fps, 30 tbn
    Stream #0.1: Audio: binkaudio_dct, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp
Loading content file Ashes of Apocalypse.esm

ERROR: unknown global variable: gamehour
Specifically this: ERROR: unknown global variable: gamehour

Is this because the variable gamehour isn't set in the esm file? Or is this because the variable is set in in the esm, but OpenMW doesn't recognize it?

update:
http://www.uesp.net/morrow/editor/mw_cs ... l#gamehour
^-- according to this, it should be in vanilla morrowind.

file a bug?

TC is 300MiB : http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=747
version 1.1 update: http://www.filefront.com/4847707/Ashes- ... rsion-1.1/

update, I'm in contact with the TC author. he loves OpenMW and is following this thread now. He states that this content should work, out of the box, without any morrowind/bethesda IP. We should aim to get this into a playable state with OpenMW.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Gamehour is a variable defined in morrowind.esm, if this TC does not load morrowind.esm then gamehour needs to be defined in the TC.

In vanilla I think you always needed to load morrowind.esm even if you were totally replacing all the content, OpenMW allows you to not load morrowind just a new esm, but global variables do need to be defined in OpenMW, in vanilla they were there in the background, there may be other variables that need to be defined.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

As it turns out AoA is standalone and a version (1.0) ships with the Morrowind exe, but no Morrowind.esm nor bsa. That seems to me that the Morrowind.exe sets a default value to gamehour when encountered though I'm not sure.

As I said earlier, I'm talking with Travis Huinker (https://plus.google.com/u/2/+TravisHuinker/posts) who created AoA to see about getting it re-licensed so that it can be improved upon. Maybe we can fix the issues in AoA so that it will run in OpenMW and release as version 1.2.

We'll see how this goes, but I'm extremely hopeful because if we can re-license then AoA is a potential candidate to help get OpenMW as a standalone "game" with no dependencies on Bethesda content!

How many mods are there for AoA and where can we download them? Would the owners also be willing to re-license under the creative commons CC-BY-SA ?
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

It'll ensure requiring that there is nothing owned by Bethesda used - including the animation skeletons.

I have no idea if AoA contains Bethesda-owned animations, but it probably does.
Last edited by Sslaxx on 22 Feb 2015, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Sslaxx wrote:It'll ensure requiring that there is nothing owned by Bethesda used - including the animation skeletons.
Do you mean that AoA doesn't include Bethesda's animation skeletons or does? Please clarify. :)

I do understand that some of the files that are distributed by AoA probably need to be replaced to be DFSG safe, but so long as it isn't Bethesda's IP, then we have at least a chance to contact the original author.
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

Technically, AOA is standalone and in a beta state. I made DR2 as a non-lore-friendly expansion to it. So a lot of the assets in DR2 are simply placeholders. I would've loved to see a post-nuked set of mountains, for example.

If the original author is willing to collaborate with me and see which parts of DR2 can be safely put in an AOA indie game, with completely new assets, then AOA could live again in OpenMW.

Right now, most parts of DR2 are pretty naff and goes against his vision. But that can all be changed.
Travdark

Post by Travdark »

Greetings everyone,

I'm the original creator of Ashes of Apocalypse, thanks to psi29a for contacting me and pointing this project out. While it has been quite sometime since I originally worked on the project and been in the modding scene in general, I'm interested in providing the most help I can if time permits and such.

I believe before we would be able to release AoA as a legal, standalone game using the OpenMW framework, some assets would need to be removed (due to copyright concerns) and others recreated as Sslaxx mentions the character animations for example.

While I won't be able to provide much technical insight, I'll try to help with other matters such as converting the project to Creative Commons and such. Thanks for everyone's interest in the project! :D