OpenMW profiling data

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
nopoe

OpenMW profiling data

Post by nopoe »

The weekly updates mentioned optimization so I decided to profile the latest nightly build of OpenMW with AMD GPU PerfStudio 2. I was using the OpenGL rendering mode, if that makes a difference. Interesting results. For the scene right after I go through the trap door and get outside for the first time, the CPU is busy for 12ms and the GPU is busy for 17ms. For context, I have a 3570k and a 7970, so these numbers seem like they could probably drop a bit.

Note that I was unable to export the raw data despite trying several different ways, so describing it is the best that I can do, unfortunately.

The verdict PerfStudio gave me was as follows: "Application is bound by draw operations, but the GPU is not fully utilized."

Specifically, the GPUBusy metric shows 25%.

Moving onto detailed stuff, I'm no performance expert, but I did notice a few things. First of all, over half the draw calls resulted in 0 pixels being shaded, which I suppose is better than tons of overdraw and might be unavoidable.

On the subject of draw calls, there are 973 of them in this scene. Now, for context, the only time I've ever done any GPU profiling before was for an android game, so that seems high to me, but again it could be normal for a PC game or unavoidable.

Random stats:

The vertex shader is busy around 79% of the time the GPU is busy, and the fragment shader is busy around 35% of the GPU busy time. The same metric for primitive assembly is around 18%. The total pixels shaded for all draw calls is around 2.5x the number of pixels in the window, which indicates some overdraw. Nothing too atrocious though. I've definitely seen much worse. :D

So I'm not exactly sure what this all means, but I hope somebody found it useful or at least interesting. I mostly did it out of curiosity.

I am attaching a screenshot of the scene I used, for reference.
Attachments
profscene.png
Sslaxx

Re: OpenMW profiling data

Post by Sslaxx »

Out of curiosity, is this using entirely vanilla assets? I also notice no distant land. What would the performance difference be in either case?