Actor collision containers too large

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Greendogo

Actor collision containers too large

Post by Greendogo »

I just saw Bug #1437 and I was wondering if the following situation will be considered and fixed along with it:

Since much earlier versions of OpenMW I have often found my character running up alongside NPCs and not being able to walk past them because they are apparently exerting a collision space that is much larger than their model is.

For example look at this screenshot:
Spoiler: Show
From the third-person perspective shown in the screenshot, you can see the PC should have plenty of room between the NPC and the wall to move forward, however, the NPC's collision is actually blocking the PC's path forward.

I'm also attaching the save, in case you want to easily reproduce the problem.
Attachments
cantgetthrough.zip
save file
(710.87 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Chris

Re: Actor collision containers too large

Post by Chris »

Greendogo wrote:I just saw Bug #1437 and I was wondering if the following situation will be considered and fixed along with it:
Yes, it's the same problem. The collision shape actors have is too large because it's square (a box) instead of round (a capsule). Problem is, the code is a mess and that can't be changed easily without messing everything up in the process.
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

Chris wrote:
Greendogo wrote:I just saw Bug #1437 and I was wondering if the following situation will be considered and fixed along with it:
Yes, it's the same problem. The collision shape actors have is too large because it's square (a box) instead of round (a capsule). Problem is, the code is a mess and that can't be changed easily without messing everything up in the process.
Uh, do you really mean square, and not just rectangular? If so, that's an entirely different problem than merely not being capsules. In the OP's screenshot that box would be way bigger than it needs to be even if it had a square base, but being square on all sides would explain why collision is clearly wider than the widest part of the model.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

The base is a square. The whole thing is a box.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Wasn't there a bullet related problem with capsule collision?
chaosislife

Post by chaosislife »

Might be a bit late....but i'd think the hackish solution would be to set the size of the square and thus cube to be equal to the size of the npcs waist, if the cube forms at their center, this would only be noticeable if the PC jumps over the NPC and their legs pass thru the NPC's head. if itforms at the head, then only if they manage to crawl under the NPC's head, and if it forms at the feet then again only if they jump over it. Presumably any collision in contact with the PC's collision cube would prevent movement regardless of it's height.