Animations 2013

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: Animations 2013

Post by Zini »

Could you please go over the roadmap and flag issues as closed where needed? I guess we have at least:

* Swimming animation
* Walking animation

?
gus

Post by gus »

It seems some NPC get stuck on the terrain. Can anyone confirm?
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

There are a couple of issues with where and how you can move and jump, is that something you want bug reports on, or is that going to change?

E.g. not able to move/jump in Vivics room or able to scale a lot steeper slopes than in vanilla.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

I didn't do the jumping, but my understanding is that it was hacked in there after the fact to get something finished that could be merged. It will be replaced later.

Being able to go up steeper slopes than in vanilla is more or less a known issue. There's a max slope variable somewhere that we put to some large value. Because, at least in my eyes, being able to go up more slopes than in vanilla isn't as big of an issue as not being able to go over terrain that you should be able to go over. Obviously they are both bad, but in the absence of an acrobatics skill implementation, I figured picking a higher constant was better than a lower one.

When you said you can't move, where specifically were you referring to?
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

nopoe wrote: When you said you can't move, where specifically were you referring to?
The room where Vivec is. There are steps/platforms filling the entire room and you can walk freely on one such "step"/level, but trying to move up or jump is almost impossible.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

While I'm at it, there's one last issue I know of right now. It's impossible to jump while standing next to a wall/some objects. But since you said it was hacked, I guess it's due to be fixed.
Chris

Post by Chris »

There are still some issues with collision detection, likely due to how Bullet's being used. Some collisions (usually with moved objects) are missed, some collisions are being detected that don't exist, etc.
gus

Post by gus »

From bullet forum:
If you want to change important data from objects, you have to remove them from the world first, then make the change, and re-add them to the world.
Meaning that if we want to change the position of objects, we need to remove it and then re-add it. I think it's Ok to do that for "normal" objects that won't move much anyway. And for the player, we need to set a kinematic object.

The only thing i'm really not sure, is what to do if we want skyrim/oblivion collisions? I suppose the move method would have to be modified, so that when an object is moved by the physic engine it isn't removed/add every frame...
Chris

Post by Chris »

gus wrote:From bullet forum:
If you want to change important data from objects, you have to remove them from the world first, then make the change, and re-add them to the world.
Meaning that if we want to change the position of objects, we need to remove it and then re-add it. I think it's Ok to do that for "normal" objects that won't move much anyway. And for the player, we need to set a kinematic object.

The only thing i'm really not sure, is what to do if we want skyrim/oblivion collisions? I suppose the move method would have to be modified, so that when an object is moved by the physic engine it isn't removed/add every frame...
Bullet has a few types of RigidBody objects:
///The btRigidBody is the main class for rigid body objects. It is derived from btCollisionObject, so it keeps a pointer to a btCollisionShape.
///It is recommended for performance and memory use to share btCollisionShape objects whenever possible.
///There are 3 types of rigid bodies:
///- A) Dynamic rigid bodies, with positive mass. Motion is controlled by rigid body dynamics.
///- B) Fixed objects with zero mass. They are not moving (basically collision objects)
///- C) Kinematic objects, which are objects without mass, but the user can move them. There is on-way interaction, and Bullet calculates a velocity based on the timestep and previous and current world transform.
Actors should be type C. Unmoving or rarely-moving objects should be type B. Oblivion-style clutter would be type A.

As far as I understand, however, we currently create everything as type B.
worsas

Post by worsas »

i have discovered that creatures whose bone names are named in the scheme of bone names that you know from NPCs and most vanilla creatures (spine, neck, head, etc) will often make independent head-movements. I have discovered this with the vermai creature I rigged and animated for TR.

I don't remember why I have been using those bone names that concisely... I probably just thought I had to do a thorough job. I was surprised later on that the creature did movements i have never told it to do. This behavior is probably not really worth replicating but I thought i would let you know nonetheless.