Lua scripting in OpenMW

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
silentthief

Re: Lua scripting in OpenMW

Post by silentthief »

ptmikheev wrote: 02 May 2021, 00:26 What to expect in the nearest months
I think that at first we should focus on adding features, that are not possible via MWScript. UI, camera control, custom AI.
Looking forward to what can be done with these two: Camera control, custom AI

I could see a modder making a mod that changes the ending of the mad god questline of tribunal, so that instead of just freezing you when you meet Almalexia in the tower of Sotha Sil, so she can talk to you, instead the camera could do some dramatic close up of her, or some other trick with the camera

(youtube vid of that meeting -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lv4nyAEG7M)
(questline for that meeting -> https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:The_M ... _Sotha_Sil)

---

As for AI, the concept of Morrowind Comes Alive as a way to give NPC schedules (as in, they come out during the day or go inside at night, maybe head to the tavern around dinnertime) is a start to making NPCs have actual behaviors other than the AI wander thing which makes then just walk around in the general location. AI would give the ability for plugging in certain behaviors which would make things WAY more interesting, such as proper fleeing (instead of an NPC who just runs around in the same interior, they go through doors and run to the nearest guard if attacked) or a modder could have a dark brotherhood attack where the NPC attacks, then runs away after sustaining wounds, only to lead the player into a trap with many more dark brotherhood assassins.

Just floating a few thoughts, and looking forward to the future of OpenMW

ST
ps - edited for clarification
100% not a dev, but I know a little about Linux, MW, and scripting. I try to help. LMK if you have any questions.

Current MW quote: "I don't recall using teleportation. Yet there I was. Alone. Naked."
kuyondo

Re: Lua scripting in OpenMW

Post by kuyondo »

ptmikheev wrote: 02 May 2021, 00:26 What to expect in the nearest months
I think that at first we should focus on adding features, that are not possible via MWScript. UI, camera control, custom AI.
I hope, some simple functions such as addItem or removeItem, even though possible with MWscript, could also be given some implementation.

Or maybe provide a way for OpenMW Lua to interact with in-game MWscripts, such as getting a local variable or global variable.