Android part 2

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
nodisknofun

Re: Android part 2

Post by nodisknofun »

Hey,

is it possible to build a version whioch uses OpenGL instead of GLES?
I own a Shield TV which does fully support OpenGL 4
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Why do you want to use OpenGL instead of GLES? Doesn't your tv support GLES?
Keyren

Post by Keyren »

Hi there is a way to play this on android with italian patches? I've gog version, i've downloaded the patch online and patched the game on pc all works fine, i've copied the morrow folder with new files, the game start normally, but in english. So can i modify something for play in italian?
Thanks
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

darkbasic wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 12:06 Why do you want to use OpenGL instead of GLES? Doesn't your tv support GLES?
Lots of the Android-specific bugs are due to the OpenGL-to-GLES translation system we're using. In theory, switching to regular OpenGL (if available) would immediately fix those issues.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

nodisknofun wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 08:55 Hey,

is it possible to build a version whioch uses OpenGL instead of GLES?
I own a Shield TV which does fully support OpenGL 4
It's possible of course, but since nvidia devices are the only ones which support opengl, and nvidia has seemingly given up on android, it does not seem to me to be a worthwhile time investment.
reddragon72

Post by reddragon72 »

This may have gotten lost on the last page due to my screw up with the picture so I am posting it here to see if there is a fix or a bug to report.

Thanks that worked great! Set it to 2.0 and all is good.

Now I started messing with the water. OGL2 and water reflection all on.

I see this.

sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 16:53
darkbasic wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 12:06 Why do you want to use OpenGL instead of GLES? Doesn't your tv support GLES?
Lots of the Android-specific bugs are due to the OpenGL-to-GLES translation system we're using. In theory, switching to regular OpenGL (if available) would immediately fix those issues.
A lot of android devices supports vulkan now.
https://github.com/vsg-dev/VulkanSceneGraphPrototype
And now osg prototype, with using vulkan, is available.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

VulkanSceneGraph isn't close to being ready yet and is still missing a lot of stuff that OSG has. As well as that, while it's intended to be roughly similar to OSG when it's done, it's not going to be a trivial replacement - a lot of OpenMW will need rewriting in order to be compatible. It'll be a similar amount of work to the switch from OGRE3D to OSG, although some aspects should be a bit simpler as some design choices are going to be more similar than OSG and OGRE are.

It's also not going to be a magic bullet for all Android issues, either. Typically, Vulkan drivers on Android are even buggier than their GLES counterparts, even though part of the design philosophy of Vulkan was that it should be much easier to write conformant drivers.
radek816

Can't move

Post by radek816 »

Hi, so I've got this problem with Morrowind on Android. The left on-screen joystick doesn't work so I can't move my character. The joystick doesn't seem to be mapped correctly as when I try to change the "forward" button to some other key it works. Please help!
reddragon72

Re: Can't move

Post by reddragon72 »

radek816 wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 18:02 Hi, so I've got this problem with Morrowind on Android. The left on-screen joystick doesn't work so I can't move my character. The joystick doesn't seem to be mapped correctly as when I try to change the "forward" button to some other key it works. Please help!
Are you using a nightly build?

If so roll back the release from here. https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android/releases

There are also some posts in here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5626 that talk about that issue but I believe it was nightly builds that caused the issue.