Is an android port lf tes3mp possible?

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
Gibber

Is an android port lf tes3mp possible?

Post by Gibber »

I have some friends who I would like to get into tes3mp but they dont have pcs. I was just wondering if it was possible to convert tes3mp over to android. If so could i do it myself or would I need permission. I have a little bit of experience with modifying tes3mp.
davidcernat

Re: Is an android port lf tes3mp possible?

Post by davidcernat »

It's definitely possible, but it's not a priority at this time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I suspect that the server component would best be run on something with more memory and cpu while the client would run on android. However, I think this is more 'because we can' than it would actually be used. ;)

Yes, it is possible. Give it a try. Get in contact with xyzz and sandstranger since they have done the lion's share of the work in porting OpenMW to Android.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

I think that needs Microsoftnetframework so no . Also its only available in 64bit for Windows at the moment .
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

@mojoswagger1980 what are you talking about? What requires Microsoftnetframework precisely? Do you have any links for documentation that states that?

I'm reasonably sure that tes3mp does _not_ use Microsoftnetframework and even it did, why would that be a problem?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Even if it did use .NET, .NET is now supported on non-Microsoft systems, so it wouldn't be a problem.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 13:28 Even if it did use .NET, .NET is now supported on non-Microsoft systems, so it wouldn't be a problem.
To clarify for anybody who is unaware, .NET Framework is Windows-only. In contrast, .NET Core, which is the cross-platform successor that is something like 90% compatible with .NET Framework, is available on Linux and macOS (with source on on GitHub).

Of course, since TES3MP is written in C++, just like OpenMW, the whole line of discussion is moot ;)
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 06:04 I think that needs Microsoftnetframework so no . Also its only available in 64bit for Windows at the moment .
You need the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 if you're playing TES3MP on Windows.

Other than that, we've always had Linux releases... like you'd expect from a project that was started by a Linux user.

That means I'm not sure how you ended up with those misconceptions.