OpenNuka

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenNuka

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're generally good at programming and understand the purpose and risks of pointers, you don't really need any experience with C++ before doing stuff with OpenMW (although it'll help). The skills associated with being a good programmer are the same skills which are needed to learn a new programming language quickly. If you're starting from scratch, C++ is one of the easiest languages to pick up bad habits in, and they'll be more of a hurdle than only being really good in another language.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:24 If you're generally good at programming and understand the purpose and risks of pointers, you don't really need any experience with C++ before doing stuff with OpenMW (although it'll help). The skills associated with being a good programmer are the same skills which are needed to learn a new programming language quickly. If you're starting from scratch, C++ is one of the easiest languages to pick up bad habits in, and they'll be more of a hurdle than only being really good in another language.
I don't believe he will get that far, but it's good to see what he's trying to do, hopefully it gets far enough.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

That being said, I'm highly committed.
Although I think the community is warning me with the old proverb, don't count your deathclaw eggs before they hatch.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think you should count your deathclaw eggs before they hatch, and make exactly that many omelettes, and then count the omelettes to ensure no eggs were missed and there's no chance of an egg hatching and causing major issues for you and your family.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

terabyte25 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:44
AnyOldName3 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:24 If you're generally good at programming and understand the purpose and risks of pointers, you don't really need any experience with C++ before doing stuff with OpenMW (although it'll help). The skills associated with being a good programmer are the same skills which are needed to learn a new programming language quickly. If you're starting from scratch, C++ is one of the easiest languages to pick up bad habits in, and they'll be more of a hurdle than only being really good in another language.
I don't believe he will get that far, but it's good to see what he's trying to do, hopefully it gets far enough.
I hope I get far, we'll see.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Programming is a useful life skill, so even if you don't get far enough to take us to the wasteland, you should be better off for learning.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I suppose that I can look on the bright side, the wasteland isn't completely barred from me visiting it, I can always visit it.
I found this application useful for a number of reasons, archival purposes primarily, I'm interested in seeing it expanded, I have a number of interests in software like this.
StevenC21

Post by StevenC21 »

Hey, so I was wondering. Is this still going on? I don't know any programming, but I was told that you are also not very experienced and I was thinking that perhaps we could learn together? If you wanted my help anyways.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

TES4/5 readers, BSA updates for TES4 have been posted here: https://github.com/cc9cii/openmw

cc9cii has been doing great work on this front.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

StevenC21 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 22:34 Hey, so I was wondering. Is this still going on? I don't know any programming, but I was told that you are also not very experienced and I was thinking that perhaps we could learn together? If you wanted my help anyways.
I'm open to corresponding with you.
It's still going on, but I doubt I'm going to start working on this, until I have my studies on this out of the way.
The language I've been interested in learning for a long time was Python, and the other one is C++.