OpenNuka

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
StevenC21

Re: OpenNuka

Post by StevenC21 »

Alright. In that case, what method of communication should we use? I don't think that this forum is ideal. Perhaps Discord or IRC?
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

Shoot me a PM.
I'll create a Discord tomorrow evening.
TheGrimblade

Post by TheGrimblade »

I'll throw my own two cents in here as well.
I think it would probably be best to advance the engine one game at a time, and in their order of release. Despite what many people seem to think, BGS did make changes to their engine with each game, and so it seems to me that it would be natural to add features in, in the order that they were added, unless it really makes sense to skip ahead. That is not to say that a change working towards Fallout 3 could not be done in the process of reaching Oblivion. For that matter, much of the necessary groundwork has already been laid out by OpenMW.

Additionally, I don't think you can reasonably see Skyrim as part of "phase 1" simply due to their complete rewrite of the scripting engine and other portions of the game. Skyrim had the most significant code change from one game to another, from what I have gathered.

Similarly, I don't think we should really concern ourselves with Fallout 76 or Starfield at all for a long time. Both seem to be making more changes to the engine than any previous leap in tech between BGS games. Fallout 76 seems to change a lot more than just the networking. Starfield will apparently completely overhaul the animation system. All of the work on getting .nif files working might not even apply anymore at that point. We simply can't know until it releases.

I'd like to see an OpenNuka/OpenBGS succeed. I am somewhere between entry level and intermediate in terms of skill as a C++ programmer. I'd be willing to contribute to this project in my spare time if you can get a good plan and timeline for the feature set and feature implementation.

If you were to ask me, I am a bit torn on this, but I think it might make more sense to start implementing Oblivion features into Morrowind as a proof of concept (like the weapon sheathing that akortunov has just implemented), rather than immediately focusing on getting in-game in Oblivion or Morrowind. In either case, you'll definitely want to work with cc9cii, or at least his contributions towards this front.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I agree with everything you just said, but I'm going to be studying C++ for a while before I begin working on this.
I think Phase 1 should focus on Oblivion for the time being, as you said. Perhaps phase 2 could be Fallout 3 and New Vegas, as they're pretty closely related, mind you, Obsidian made a lot of tweaks and changes to Gamebryo for New Vegas.
Fallout 76 and Starfield are more a pipe dream if anything considering one releases in a month, and the other only has a 10 second promo.
Phase 3 would probably be more Skyrim and Fallout 4.
I'd like to talk more though.
I was informed that the way this community works is by teams working on components of the engine, cc9cii is part of a team as is everyone else.
So, the OpenNuka team, might be slow to start.
Hopefully the OpenNuka team unites as smoothly as the Avengers, and not as badly as the Justice League.
Last edited by CaveDoctor on 10 Oct 2018, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I think the proof of concept idea is perfect.
Proof of concept for skeletons, weapons sheathing, and what not.
That seems to be one of the most fertile places to start.
Keep in mind, I'm the dumbass who posted this without knowing his ass from a hole in the ground.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Let me add something to the discussion - not every contribution has to be coding related - it could be finding defects, finding how something works in game, finding other devs, encouraging/motivating people, creating/maintaining a list of tasks, etc, etc. An easy way to start might even be to port my current branch to compile under Linux (if that is your preference). If you skill is beyond that there are a lot of gaps in the code that was released a few days ago - those can be attempted.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Hopefully the OpenNuka team unites as smoothly as the Avengers, and not as badly as the Justice League.
Didn't they spend their first film fighting each other until Phil Coulson 'died', then the next one disagreeing about whether it was a good idea to do something with AI (rather than the more sensible debate about whether it was a good idea to connect a potentially hostile unknown piece of software to a networked computer), then Civil War fighting each other about... something? I've not seen infinity war, so they might have finally settled down, but The Avengers are not a great example of a well-managed team.
TheGrimblade

Post by TheGrimblade »

Wouldn't the first step be to update cc9cii's work to a more recent version of OpenMW? I think from there, you would want to do something akin to the testhall, and just fix stuff one thing at a time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

For those interested, I created a MR but it is broken (merge conflicts) because it is based on OpenMW 0.36 (with Ogre3D):
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1955

However, there is this little commit:
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1 ... 4ad4fcbcd5
^-- add esm4/5 reader to /extern/esm4, it is standalone and doens't have any merge conflicts, however it won't compile because it uses Ogre3D DataSourcePtr which needs to be refactored to use std::shared_ptr<std::ifstream> or OSG's ReaderWriter.

https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1 ... 93a44656d1
^-- this relatively small commit might give merge conflicts, but it hooks the esm4 reader into OpenMW and OpenMW-CS

So these are some low-hanging fruits to people interested in working on this.

I suggest to pull cc9cii's down (git fetch cc9cii), then create a new branch on your local fork, then cherry-pick these commits then compile. If it compiles without errors, create a PR or MR :)

These two commits are pretty crucial for supporting TES4 and TES5 (including Fallout3/NV) ESMs.
StevenC21

Post by StevenC21 »

Ah, hey! I'm sorry I forgot to check back. Umm, my account is actually too new to send a PM. Is that part crucial?