OpenNuka

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
CaveDoctor

OpenNuka

Post by CaveDoctor »

I want to see what needs to be done and who would be interested in helping me assemble a team for a fork of OpenMW.
I'm not a coder by any means, but I'm willing to learn code to work on this project.
I want to start a project for running the fallout games on this fork.
Any code developed from our fork will be shared with the OpenMW community.
The Project will either be called OpenNuka or Bottlecap.

V1 of Open Nuka will target three games to run.
Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.

V2 of Open Nuka will target three games to run as well,
Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76

V3
TES6 and Starfield?

I spoke with someone on reddit and we came to the conclusion the first thing that needs to be done to get this project off of the ground is to run .BSA files on the software.
Is there a .BSA commander type program that is open source?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenNuka

Post by psi29a »

Moving this thread to Other Forks & Ports

Have a talk with cc9cii, he has done a lot of work and it is sitting on his branch somewhere (I think?).

You don't have to 'name' your fork, but whatever. :)

Most of the work, I believe, was in supporting the NIF and BSA formats from Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout3 so that is a _very_ good starting place. The branch was made before our switch to OSG, so there will be some work done there on getting it up to speed.

I suggest doing small increments and if the work being done is NIF/BSA related, then it is best to get that merged upstream to OpenMW proper. That way everyone benefits, including OpenMW proper which you'll likely keep rebasing/merging against in OpenNuka. Try to keep the delta/change as small as possible helps when OpenMW makes new releases so that it is easier for you guys to pull in new changes.

Take a look at how TES3MP has been developed, they are tightly coupled to OpenMW and it could work for you as well. What I mean is that you add an additional directory in /apps/ and call it opennuka (if you like) and it can live side by side with openmw itself! :)

Keep in mind that OpenMW's main focus is TES3 right now, but ideally OpenMW wants to support all TES/FO games. We would love to eventually merge long-living branches back in so coordination between projects is key.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

The amount of time involved in doing this would almost mandate you merge with one of the other groups attempting an openOblivion fork. You would think they would all get together on this but its hard to get support for somthing in the concept phase. I doubt OpenMw would have went anywhere if it didnt go public already functional . good luck though .
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:07. I doubt OpenMw would have went anywhere if it didnt go public already functional .
What does this even mean? OpenMW didn't just pop into existence already functional...
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I agree with you, the small increments approach is a very good idea.
I don't stray too far away from the original, and both communities benefit.
The OpenNuka project isn't separate, but is a part of the main program.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Super!

https://github.com/cc9cii/openmw/tree/cc9cii <-- that is from 2015, it hasn't aged well.

However I believe that cc9cii has some things that hasn't yet be posted.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I'm about to head to work, I spoke with a guy on reddit who mentioned this guy.
I'll see if I can't get their attention.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

cc9cii has said that he's going to release some updated code when he gets time, but right now it's a mess and needs refactoring before any more progress can be made.

There are a few main tasks to getting other games working:
  • Reading assets (Nif/sounds etc.). cc9cii has made a lot of progress with this.
  • Reading game data (ESM/ESP). cc9cii has also made progress with this.
  • Interpreting scripts. Nothing's been done with this yet, and as OpenMW's going to replace its existing scripting implementation with a Lua-based one, now's probably not the best time to start. The most useful thing to try on this front might be to create something which translates the scripts to Lua, as that's a tool you're going to need.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

CaveDoctor wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 04:54 I want to see what needs to be done and who would be interested in helping me assemble a team for a fork of OpenMW.
I'm not a coder by any means, but I'm willing to learn code to work on this project.
I want to start a project for running the fallout games on this fork.
Any code developed from our fork will be shared with the OpenMW community.
The Project will either be called OpenNuka or Bottlecap.

V1 of Open Nuka will target three games to run.
Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.

V2 of Open Nuka will target three games to run as well,
Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76

V3
TES6 and Starfield?

I spoke with someone on reddit and we came to the conclusion the first thing that needs to be done to get this project off of the ground is to run .BSA files on the software.
Is there a .BSA commander type program that is open source?
The BSA code for TES4/TES5 is an extension of the code in OpenMW. It can be released without much cleanup so I will try to get that in github over the next week or two. Note that it won't be much of use without all the other parts.

What you want to achieve is broadly aligned with what I hope to do also. Having said that I'm not sure I would want to fork OpenMW for it nor change the name to something else?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

OpenMW was initially OpenEngine, but got renamed pretty early on as it was obvious that we'd have to do one game pretty well before it was sensible to try and implement another one. Now OpenMW is known, it might be a waste of that mind-share to rename it when it gets support for a new engine.

Ideally, a distant-future version of OpenMW would support all Bethesda games, and would be able to:
  • load files from any BSA/BA2, even if they don't match the currently running game (so you get that sweet BA2 texture loading performance boost even in Morrowind).
  • load any Nif version in any game (along with other formats, such as Collada and GLTF) as long as the game data pointed to that file as it should be able to determine which loader version to use from the file header.
  • translate any game script to Lua, picking the language based on the header of the ESP/ESM it was in for the older games, and based on the file extension for the newer games.
If the engine is modular enough to have these components easily replaceable, it's not that much harder to pick between them at runtime.