File Path Selector Needlessly Difficult?

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
mikjames

File Path Selector Needlessly Difficult?

Post by mikjames »

Maybe I'm missing a guide for the android version here on the forums, but the only one I tracked down is here: https://blog.en.uptodown.com/morrowind-android-openmw/

I've copied over the data files from the steam version, onto an sd card, and attempted to input the folder path. Which brings me to the first issue, why have a manually typed folder path? Why not a folder path selector to remove potential for human error? In any case I can't seem to get the syntax or folder names corrrect. My sd card doesn't show up on my phone (Samsung A5) or in windows as sdcard, in windows it shows as Card, and in my phone's file browser it shows as SD Card. I've no idea if the sdcard file path is supposed to be an addition to the root path or is the root path on specific phones. I've copied the data files folder to the root of the sd card and renamed it DataFiles to avoid spaces, and it just doesn't work. Again all of this could be avoided via a folder path browser/selector, but I'd like to get this figured out.
Naugrim

Re: File Path Selector Needlessly Difficult?

Post by Naugrim »

For these situations I use "OI File Manager", or just use some terminal app to run a `find` command for the file. Can you give it a try?
To quote the article you mention "The OpenMW path is challenging but totally doable" ;)
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

Yeah I'll give a try. There's a difference between requisite difficulty and pointless difficulty though. Some things need to be complex, requiring the end user to know what they're doing (which are typically well documented), software interfaces for a mobile game do not and should not. My guess is this is a result of Bethesda bullying the dev team into silence for the android port, if it were better publicized we might have a dedicated ui designer by now, rather than a dev trying to juggle multiple tasks.

I have the utmost respect for the OpenMW devs (and devs in general), but if there's one thing I've learned from decades in I.T, you never let a software dev design an end user interface :lol: I hope the situation improves with time, but Bethesda really needs to get off that high horse, they aren't doing themselves any favors here. A dev team is working tirelessly to bring Morrowind to as many platforms as possible, for free, and Bethesda gets to sit on the sidelines raking in the sales of a 16 year old game, then they have the gall to crap all over them.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

Yay it works! Oi file manager gave me the full folder path, which actually had an alpha numaric string for the sd card that I never would have guessed.
Performance kind of sucks, but lowering draw distance helps in cities. I know my phone isn't top of line (2017 A5), but it's no slouch either and I just upgraded. Hopefully this will be up to 60 fps in a couple years with new phones and dev optimization :)
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

mikjames wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 04:14 Maybe I'm missing a guide for the android version here on the forums, but the only one I tracked down is here: https://blog.en.uptodown.com/morrowind-android-openmw/

I've copied over the data files from the steam version, onto an sd card, and attempted to input the folder path. Which brings me to the first issue, why have a manually typed folder path? Why not a folder path selector to remove potential for human error? In any case I can't seem to get the syntax or folder names corrrect. My sd card doesn't show up on my phone (Samsung A5) or in windows as sdcard, in windows it shows as Card, and in my phone's file browser it shows as SD Card. I've no idea if the sdcard file path is supposed to be an addition to the root path or is the root path on specific phones. I've copied the data files folder to the root of the sd card and renamed it DataFiles to avoid spaces, and it just doesn't work. Again all of this could be avoided via a folder path browser/selector, but I'd like to get this figured out.
Ok.
lets do this the easy way,
1. the data files folder you copied from your pc to your device needs to be renamed. it can be anything as long as you omit any spacing. i used data-files and that will be the format used for the duration of this tutorial.
2.the reason for the above, is step 2 the path. it can ge any existing path, if you are rooted you can see them for yourself, but i'll asume your not and use the most common path: /storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/ please note there can be no spaces. its a good idea to disable spellcheck for this.
3.in the openmw launcher change the graphics library to opengles2, not necessarry but the water looks wrong under opengles1.
***the game will run now, but will most likely crash eventually on cell load, the rest is optimization, recommended but like i said not technically necessary***
4. launch the game once, it doesnt have to work it just needs to start to make a couple of settings accessible
5: navigate to /storage/emulated/0/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/. this is tye android folder in sdcard1. copy the settings-default.cfg from here to /storage/emulated/0/anrroid/com.libopenmw.openmw/openmw/config/
5. delete the settings.cfg file and rename the file you copied settings.cfg
6.open the file you renamed with a text editor. scroll down to preload instances and change it to false. scroll down to maximum framelimit and change it to 60.
7.profit
***if the game crashes on launch delete all the cutscenes (.bik files) happens on devices with mali gpus... idk whats in an A5, i have a note 5 ... they are probably different in terms of hardware.***
Best of Luck!
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

I'm going to assume you didn't read my last post. It's working fine now, and your guide wouldn't have solved the problem. The file path to the sd card on my phone contained a unique 6 character alpha numeric string. OI file manager is the easy solution, as it allows you to easily get the full file path, which may be unique depending on your device, and configuration. There is no one size fits all file path.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

mikjames wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 19:31 I'm going to assume you didn't read my last post. It's working fine now, and your guide wouldn't have solved the problem. The file path to the sd card on my phone contained a unique 6 character alpha numeric string. OI file manager is the easy solution, as it allows you to easily get the full file path, which may be unique depending on your device, and configuration. There is no one size fits all file path.
yeah missed you got it fixed. i use mixplorer, just for the sake of it not being poisoned by google. same thing though. and correct me if im wrong but i beleive /storage/emulated/0/ exist in every android device and would therefore be the one size(?) fits all file path. i cant think of any device ive ever owned without it. regardless glad you found somthing that works for you.