[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
xyzz

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by xyzz »

I've made some drastic changes to how controls work so it'd be great if people could test it and tell me if it's better now, apk: https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/re ... test-2.apk

- For both left and right joysticks the origin is now where the finger was put down, it's not fixed center anymore
- For the left joystick (movement), forward/backward is more heavily weighed than left/right
- The right joystick is now emulating relative mouse movements instead of gamepad stick
- A short tap on the right joystick is equivalent to a short click
- A long click on the right joystick is equivalent to long mouse click

(The default osc layout had also been updated, if you changed it, go to Menu=>Configure on-screen controls and click "Reset to defaults")
krupepe55

Post by krupepe55 »

I'm for that to keep previous controls since that works perfectly, it only needs implementation of shift to be able delete existings spells.
New test controls, well...
Mouse emulation instead gamepad:
You have to drag and drop a lot to done turn around or more. If I lay my finger on right stick it done left click instantly which leads to insta spellcast or attack.
More weighted fwd/back harder to avoid attack if left/right is left weighted.
Also this type of controls I think I will have hard time to map on my physical gamepad.
So for me, my vote goes for to keep the previous controls and layout since that worked perfectly and I spent many hours in game without any problems, i'm on level 36.
Or I hope that there could be an option to switch previous and new type of controls. If there isn't I must stay on older version of the apk :(.
RedAlert

Post by RedAlert »

After the last update of the texture of the ground appeared, thanks a lot, but there was a new problem with the textures of the ground...
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-04-02-10-28-09.jpg
Screenshot_2018-04-02-10-24-35.jpg
Last edited by RedAlert on 02 Apr 2018, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ibhram

Post by Ibhram »

Heya ! Thanks for twaking the input controls. For me it has become more playable.

As far as OSC goes, I like the newer right stick a lot more than the previous one; it has no starting deadzone wich is very good.

about:
- For the left joystick (movement), forward/backward is more heavily weighed than left/right
This is very unintuitive... it still has a center deadzone AND having the character behaving different when movig up/down and left/right its very hard on muscle memory and general usefulness. Afaik, Id say remove center deadzone and put the same "weight" in all 4 directions.

- A short tap on the right joystick is equivalent to a short click
- A long click on the right joystick is equivalent to long mouse click
This is not really that good idea, if you do a short precise movement, it does the short click most of the times.

I'd suggest to have a look into some good android fps to get the hang of OSC, ID suggest Beloko ports or some f2p like shadowgun legends to get the feel of dual sticks.

New bug found in this version:
on GLES2 , the water flickers when looking at it from the outside. ( on a s7 edge exynos )
Arantier

Post by Arantier »

Man, this port is awesome! It's not perfect actually, but it's much better than I expected!
About new joysticks patch - imho joysticks became better. Now it's easier to me to control my character. However, adding simulation of mouse click to joystick is not very comfortable, because now I'm sometimes accidentally casting spell or using weapon instead of simple joystick movement. It's good idea to bound mouse click to joystick, but probably it would be better if mouse click was activated by double clicking on the joystick.
Also, about inventory system - current system is better than just a mouse emulation, because Morrowind interface too small for mobile devices. But maybe it would be better if movement joystick worked as the arrow buttons, and the rotation joystick would work as a more precision mouse. In this case, the basic movements of mouse would be controlled by the screen touchpad as now.
Sorry for my bad English, I hope I declared my thoughts precisionly
P.S.: How about to add special buttons "Enter","Backspace" and "~" to virtual keyboard menu?
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

Updated controls test: https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/re ... test-3.apk

- Removed tap on right joystick to click
- Removed deadzone from the left joystick

---

As for gamepad support, it already works and I was able to play using my xbox one controller connected over bluetooth.

The problems are
1) gamecontrollerdb shipped with OpenMW is outdated and has no Android controllers at all, but more importantly
2) the database only has 8 android controllers (e.g. I had to add my xbox controller, it has a different GUID from the one in the database) - https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameCont ... b.txt#L412
3) it doesn't seem there's a user-friendly way to figure out and contribute mappings for Android

Additionally, in latest SDL2 they are replacing GUID algorithm so the database will have to be updated in any case.

---

https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/re ... test-4.apk

This one in addition to previous changes also sets left joystick so that it's split in 4 zones and only moves left/right/forward/backward.
Vice09

Post by Vice09 »

Hello. First of all, thank you for your work!!

I wanted to know if there is something to do to add immersive mode. unfortunately, even removing the virtual side keys, continues to see badly. thank you

Example:

https://ibb.co/e8Lyex
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

It's a known issue. Also check the first post, I've updated it with a link to the list of known issues/todos.
Vice09

Post by Vice09 »

xyzz wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 14:21 It's a known issue. Also check the first post, I've updated it with a link to the list of known issues/todos.

ok sorry i had not seen. keep it up! good job!! ;)
Ibhram

Post by Ibhram »

Ok, tested 3 and 4.

For me, 3 hits the sweet spot. Very nice work! Control is precise , useful... easy to get the hang; in 15 minutes playing i could hide the ui and just play by muscle memory.

Im definetly replaying Morrowind on this port.

Cant thank you enough.