Connection Lost Error

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
davidcernat

Re: Connection Lost Error

Post by davidcernat »

This is an entirely different and unrelated problem, and I suppose we need to fix this one first.

Are you sure your local IP hasn't changed recently?
jusastronomer

Post by jusastronomer »

Are you sure your local IP hasn't changed recently?
Indeed, my IP has changed! In the server log attached in a previous post, it was "177.156.175.37", according from what I can deduce from line 14. However, in my router configuration page, my IP is now listed as "192.168.15.1". I sent a message to my Internet Service Provider in order to get some help sorting this situation.
This is an entirely different and unrelated problem, and I suppose we need to fix this one first.
So, it is as I feared... I am really embarrassed to say this, but I believe I will need a crash course in networking before posting any further, in order not to turn this into a personal technical assistance topic... I just read somewhere that I should be renting a "public ip" before I could even consider running a server (which makes me wonder if I am even eligible to be here)... so I may be pulling your time away from development to fix something that is not going to help at all with the project.

I shall report back here (assuming the topic doesn't get closed, or something like that) whenever this problem is solved, so we can advance in this mysterious "connection lost error". I am really, really, sorry for wasting time! Thank you very much for helping me!!
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

I don't really think you need to do much other than following a port forwarding guide for your particular router model. Those tend to explain how to set a static local IP.
jusastronomer

Post by jusastronomer »

I suppose I was a little bit over dramatic, hahaha. After following another port forwarding guide, as you instructed, I was introduced to the idea that each device in my house has a specific last digit in the IP address code, and that my computer was "192.168.15.3", not ".1". Thank you for putting me back on track!

The server is up. Urshilaku, no password. Just tried playing, but suffered from the "Connection Lost Error", as described previously. :D
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

I'm able to join your server just fine now. No issues whatsoever.

Can you walk me through your joining step by step? Do you run the tes3mp executable or connect to yourself via the server browser?
jusastronomer

Post by jusastronomer »

I must preemptively apologize for, once again, maybe being too over descriptive.

I connect via browser, through the "tes3mp-browser" file (the one without an extension... the shell script... or bash script?).
- First, I open a tab in my Gnome Terminal (alongside the tab that is executing the "tes3mp-server" file);
- Then, I navigate to the TES3MP folder (with bash cd commands) and I execute the browser file with the "./tes3mp-browser" command;
- With the browser gui on the screen, I wait for my server to appear, double click it, press the "Refresh" button and, then, the "Connect" button.

Should I try to use a different terminal software?
EDIT: I tried two different terminal apps (Konsole and Terminator), but nothing different happened.
EDIT2: I was wondering if my computer simply isn't good enough to handle running the server and playing at the same time (my PC is a frankstein that has been patched with different junky pieces on multiple occasions for the last 9 years)... however, I was able to join another server and play without errors while the server was up.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

What happens when you try to connect to yourself by just running tes3mp?
jusastronomer

Post by jusastronomer »

By just running tes3mp, I was able to play without any errors!! I played for 14 minutes and tested as much things as I could remember (and believe to be relevant to test).

The only abnormality I could spot was the reseted journal. However, upon completing a temple pilgrimage, the journal was updated without problems... but as the first quest. The client and server log are attached below. The session goes from [2019-02-22 10:56:34] to [2019-02-22 11:09:44].
Attachments
tes3mp-server-2019-02-22-01_14_05.log
Server Log
(473.69 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
tes3mp-client-2019-02-22-10_56_34.log
Client Log
(187.67 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

Interesting. So, despite seemingly being able to connect to your external IP through the server browser, you kept being disconnected after a short while when doing so, but had no more problems when you just connected to localhost. That seems like a rare problem with NAT loopback.

At least you can play now.
jusastronomer

Post by jusastronomer »

Indeed, I can! Thank you very much for bearing with me! You got yourself a new patron!
I hope this was, somehow, an useful experience!