Reference for .omwsave?

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
lotek
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/rmmartins

Reference for .omwsave?

Post by lotek »

Hi! I would like to edit my savegames a little bit, but I could not find any specific documentation for the .omwsave format anywhere. I suppose I could read the C++ code and figure it out, but if there is any less traumatic way to do that I'd really appreciate it!
Capostrophic

Re: Reference for .omwsave?

Post by Capostrophic »

There's no documentation other than the source code.
lysol

Re: Reference for .omwsave?

Post by lysol »

For people who end up here through google, this is what AnyOldName3 replied to the same question from the same person on Discord:
AnyOldName3 wrote: I hate to be a the source is the documentation guy, but it kind of is in this case. Some aspects of the file format are the same as an ESM, and there are various partial sources documenting those, but some stuff is OpenMW-specific special sauce and it's not documented as once we document it, suddenly people will start making tools dependent on it and yell at us for breaking things if we change the format. We're not ready to freeze the format yet as we don't know if we've got all the data the game actually needs.