Nuke Getting Started: Tweak Settings?

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
augustt

Nuke Getting Started: Tweak Settings?

Post by augustt »

I tried out OpenMW for the first time in quite a while and was happy to discover that nearly everything that was once hidden in the config file now has a menu.

However the Getting Started: Tweak Settings of modding-openmw.com still has a lengthy page instructing different cfg settings to change, which could cause a new user a lot of unnecessary wasted time if they're going through step by step.

Perhaps get rid of it?
wazabear
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/glassmancody.info

Re: Nuke Getting Started: Tweak Settings?

Post by wazabear »

There are still some important settings only available through the config, so getting rid of that section isn't even an option.
augustt

Post by augustt »

wazabear wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 04:51 There are still some important settings only available through the config, so getting rid of that section isn't even an option.
Information wrt to config file settings should obviously be available somewhere.

That doesn't mean that one of the steps for getting started with OpenMW should be directing new users to unnecessarily create and/or edit a config file.
wazabear
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/glassmancody.info

Post by wazabear »

You are definitely right in that settings are unnecessarily hard to find now, but unfortunately it's just how things are, and editing a config file is literally only way to change some settings. I agree we need a better solution, not sure we even have a link to the ReadTheDocs settings page in the launcher.

It used to be we had a settings-default.cfg that shipped with releases, you could view this and see a small comment over each setting and have them in one place. It was encoded in base64 and renamed to defaults.bin since too many people were editing it, so it's not useful anymore.

Launcher probably just needs an overhaul and needs to be consistent, as it's missing some really important settings and is useless when you're doing some fine tune tweaking.
augustt

Post by augustt »

tbh I hadn't checked in on OpenMW for a while and was blown away at the huge improvements in the graphics and the menus. I'm just worried about directing new people to modding-openmw.com and having them messing around with config files in an unnecessary and counter productive way because it's one of the steps in the Getting Started section.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Just commenting from the peanut gallery that I hope/assume an overhaul of the launcher is planned pre-1.0 not only to continue to expose/describe many more settings, but also to obviate the need to manually edit openmw.cfg to define mod folder paths. That said, from this player's perspective, the usability and functionality of the launcher has already come a very long way over the past couple years.