Using Wabbajack to make the Curated Mod Lists easily accessible?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
SentientCoffee

Using Wabbajack to make the Curated Mod Lists easily accessible?

Post by SentientCoffee »

After having a lot of trouble - and still failing - to install one of the Curated Mod Lists (https://modding-openmw.com/lists/) I started wondering why these haven't yet been implemented as automated Wabbajack installs? It seems like an ideal way to distribute mod lists in one package. I can imagine that having OpenMW mod lists on there would be a good boost in accessibility and popularity.
AnyOldName3

Re: Using Wabbajack to make the Curated Mod Lists easily accessible?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

• Not everything's available on sites it's easy to integrate Wabbajack with.
  • Wabbajack only works automatically if you've got Nexus Premium.
  • Wabbajack only works if you're using Mod Organizer 2 as your mod manager.
  • Because it's a hassle to set up and won't help everyone for the above reasons, and because people have limited time, no one's done it yet.
SentientCoffee

Post by SentientCoffee »

Thanks for the answer!
SentientCoffee

Post by SentientCoffee »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 19:46
  • Not everything's available on sites it's easy to integrate Wabbajack with.
  • Wabbajack only works automatically if you've got Nexus Premium.
  • Wabbajack only works if you're using Mod Organizer 2 as your mod manager.
  • Because it's a hassle to set up and won't help everyone for the above reasons, and because people have limited time, no one's done it yet.
Not that it helps with the fourth point but Wabbajack does not require Nexus Premium, it only speeds up the downloads just like when you would download the mods manually.

I am using Mod Organizer 2 to install a curated mod list as the OpenMW website seems to strongly encourage it. Is that not a recommended thing after all?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'd recommend MO2 as I'm also a MO2 developer, but it's not an official stance from the OpenMW team. Plenty would say just editing the config file by hand is better.

I didn't say Wabbajack required Nexus Premium, as you can still do downloads manually, but the one-click download-everything-automatically mode, which is the thing that makes it really useful for people who don't want to learn how to make things work and just want them to work, requires Premium.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 18:50 I'd recommend MO2 as I'm also a MO2 developer
Thanks for the advice, where can I find the Linux version for my ppc64 Power9?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'd also recommend against PowerPC. The bits of MO2 which are relevant when using OpenMW work just fine through WINE, though, so the Linux aspect is fine. Unfortunately, despite basically all the meaningful dependencies supporting Linux, there's quite a bit of Windows-specific stuff in the guts and the build system, so a native Linux version would take a long time.