OpenMW mod to disable all NPC/creature respawning?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
mikeprichard

OpenMW mod to disable all NPC/creature respawning?

Post by mikeprichard »

I'm looking for a working OpenMW-compatible mod that will disable all non-unique NPC and creature respawning (i.e. set the vanilla Morrowind 3-day respawn timer to infinite days for all NPCs and creatures), but the only mod that claims to accomplish this I can find (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/32381/) is 10 years old and apparently broken; I'm extremely surprised to find this seems to be the only mod of its kind. I also see no global setting for this in the CS (I do see the Game Settings "fCorpseClearDelay" and "fCorpseRespawnDelay" which are both set to 72 by default, but I'm not sure whether/how these are relevant; whether they affect Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon together; or whether greatly increasing the values may bloat saves or cause other issues). I also can't determine with my very limited CS skills how the above-linked broken mod had attempted to implement its changes.

Any detailed assistance as to how to accomplish this, if such is even possible in OpenMW, would be appreciated!
silentthief

Re: OpenMW mod to disable all NPC/creature respawning?

Post by silentthief »

mikeprichard wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 09:09 I'm looking for a working OpenMW-compatible mod that will disable all non-unique NPC and creature respawning (i.e. set the vanilla Morrowind 3-day respawn timer to infinite days for all NPCs and creatures), but the only mod that claims to accomplish this I can find (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/32381/) is 10 years old and apparently broken; I'm extremely surprised to find this seems to be the only mod of its kind. I also see no global setting for this in the CS (I do see the Game Settings "fCorpseClearDelay" and "fCorpseRespawnDelay" which are both set to 72 by default, but I'm not sure whether/how these are relevant; whether they affect Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon together; or whether greatly increasing the values may bloat saves or cause other issues). I also can't determine with my very limited CS skills how the above-linked broken mod had attempted to implement its changes.

Any detailed assistance as to how to accomplish this, if such is even possible in OpenMW, would be appreciated!
(full disclosure - not a dev, not currently an active modder. This is my opinion on the question, but more knowledgeable minds may disagree)

Is it possible? I don't know. The reason in original Morrowind for the 72 hour reset is partially to keep the player from wiping out the continent of vardenfell, but more likely is due to the fact that keeping track of this would result in save game bloat. If this is something that you are wanting, it may be possible for this after V1 with the 'great dehardcoding' but keeping track of all of the (dead and not respawning) creatures/NPCs may still be too much data to track.

tl/dr: probably not able to be done properly and may not be worth while, but its almost guaranteed not possible before v1

ST
PS - edited multiple times for clarity
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think you have to edit all the creature records themselves. They have a little respawn checkmark on them.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the responses! I figured OpenMW might not be capable of this yet pre-1.0/dehardcoding. As to the "Respawn" toggle for Creature records in the CS, although I'm obviously not the expert here, I don't think that would help; as one of many examples in the Creature list, the 191-count "slaughterfish" record has "Respawn" = "No", but all instances of this record in the game world will still respawn after 72 hours. In fact, only a fairly small minority of Creature records have "Respawn" = "Yes", so I'm not sure what this really means.