OpenHUD, is there a way to install this without root?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Amenophis

Re: OpenHUD, is there a way to install this without root?

Post by Amenophis »

This is the log after after comment out. The default openmw.cfg is blocking everything related to the user resources folder. I've tried to put the paths of both resources (Default + Mine) but the game crashed with this log:

Crash handler installed
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /home/***/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Error: option 'resources' cannot be specified more than once

So, the resources can't be modded at all?
Attachments
Captura de tela de 2020-10-21 20-53-11.png
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The screenshotted log has more quotation marks than it looks like it should, including ones in the middle of the path, which are almost certainly not supposed to be there. As for the cannot be specified more than once issue, I think that's an issue Capo decided we probably wouldn't run into. It's supposed to let you override global settings via user settings just like you can on the command line.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 02:57 The screenshotted log has more quotation marks than it looks like it should, including ones in the middle of the path
This was my user openmw.cfg automatically adding quotation marks.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 02:57 As for the cannot be specified more than once issue, I think that's an issue Capo decided we probably wouldn't run into. It's supposed to let you override global settings via user settings just like you can on the command line.
I suppose them that the user settings can't overwriting the global settings over the resources is a design choice?
In the future will be possible to mod the UI in a cleaner way them pasting the files?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As I've said, it's not a design choice. It's definitely a bug. The user settings are supposed to override the global ones, just like ones specified on the command line do.

As for quotes, resources shouldn't have any at all. I've just checked the source code. It should be treating every character between the = and the line break as part of the path. Is that what you'd got in the actual file?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 14:03 As I've said, it's not a design choice. It's definitely a bug. The user settings are supposed to override the global ones
Oh, should I report it? Just saw that you reopened that report. Thank you!
AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 14:03 As for quotes, resources shouldn't have any at all. I've just checked the source code. It should be treating every character between the = and the line break as part of the path.
Definitely I wrote the users resources path without quotes and after run once that line was moved upside and gained the quotes. Another bug?
Last edited by Amenophis on 22 Oct 2020, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Running the engine, or the launcher? The launcher's a lot more likely to meddle with the config file in an inconsistent way to how the engine reads it as it doesn't read it in the same way.

I've already reopened the bug for this kind of thing, so hopefully someone will figure it out.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I use the launcher to play, yes.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Yeah, the launcher is adding quotes. I'll just double check whether that breaks things...
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Whew, this looks like a mess.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/merge_requests/367 should fix a bunch of things. If you're on Windows or MacOS, grab a pipeline build, and Linux users probably know how to build it themselves.