Weapons not hitting (Solved: caused by boots of blinding speed)

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Travizzle

Weapons not hitting (Solved: caused by boots of blinding speed)

Post by Travizzle »

I know my initial iron dagger worked (I had to kill some creatures with it) and then a couple hours later, I couldn't hit anything. I have full fatigue bar, etc, long blade skill is 30. Small creatures, people, cliff racers, can't hit any of 'em.

I'm using the GotY edition, official plugins, and Patch for Purists, Delayed DB Attacks V2.

I re-ran the install wizard, nothing. I have no idea what went wrong. Can someone try to help me figure it out?
silentthief

Re: Weapons not hitting

Post by silentthief »

Travizzle wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 21:39 I know my initial iron dagger worked (I had to kill some creatures with it) and then a couple hours later, I couldn't hit anything. I have full fatigue bar, etc, long blade skill is 30. Small creatures, people, cliff racers, can't hit any of 'em.

I'm using the GotY edition, official plugins, and Patch for Purists, Delayed DB Attacks V2.

I re-ran the install wizard, nothing. I have no idea what went wrong. Can someone try to help me figure it out?
Dagger is short blade not long blade, and you might want to check the status of the dagger itself (if you hit things with it it wears down and is less effective, needing repair. I recommend carrying more than one weapon because of that. However, I can't say whether that affects chance to hit, or only damage done upon hit).

ST
Travizzle

Post by Travizzle »

I am not 100% confident in this, however: it's the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Not sure what it is, sure isn't a problem on Xbox. I was in Ebonheart, and was in the process of getting the Glass Jinkblade. I put the Boots on between where I came from and Ebonheart (no combat in between). I got in the cave, made another ~dozen reload attempts on those darn rats, and then thought to take off the Boots of Blinding Speed. Problem solved, rat-burgers served.

Is combat (a reliable hit rate) while wearing the Boots of Blinding Speed a bug in the original Morrowind engine?
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Travizzle wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 20:42 I am not 100% confident in this, however: it's the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Not sure what it is, sure isn't a problem on Xbox. I was in Ebonheart, and was in the process of getting the Glass Jinkblade. I put the Boots on between where I came from and Ebonheart (no combat in between). I got in the cave, made another ~dozen reload attempts on those darn rats, and then thought to take off the Boots of Blinding Speed. Problem solved, rat-burgers served.

Is combat (a reliable hit rate) while wearing the Boots of Blinding Speed a bug in the original Morrowind engine?
Yes, it is. For some reason in the original, Blind actually increases, rather than decreases, your hit chance. I wish I was joking. In the same vein, low fatigue actually made repairing work better, rather than worse like it's supposed to. Both these inverted formulae have been fixed in OpenMW.
Travizzle

Post by Travizzle »

Man, I really didn't need to restart. I remember those bug notes on UESP, just didn't connect the dots; oh well, now I know.
Srry, just to future players:

IF YOUR MELEE WEAPONS STOP WORKING, UN-EQUIP THE BOOTS OF BLINDING SPEED.