Portmod - Mod Manager

Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
edvind

Re: Portmod - Mod Manager

Post by edvind » 04 Apr 2020, 19:48

I just have to say: This is a great command line tool! Thank you so much for developing it.

I wish I was better at programming so that I could help. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe looking up mod licenses or something?

bmw

Post by bmw » 04 Apr 2020, 21:47

You're welcome!

The main thing that requires little or even no programming experience would be adding mods to the repository.

Creating pybuild files to add mods to the repository does require some programming knowledge, but for most mods it should be minimal as it's mainly just copying information into fields in a python file that can be copied from a template (either copy and modify an existing pybuild file, or you can also use the skel.pybuild in the root of the repo which has some descriptions of the fields). I would suggest avoiding large, complicated, mods, particularly at first. It's much simpler when mods have just one source file and few necessary configuration steps or optional features. There's also a brief guide on the wiki, which may be helpful: https://gitlab.com/portmod/portmod/-/wi ... uild-Guide

Alternatively, or for mods which you might feel are too complicated to add yourself, you could just create an issue for them on the openmw-mods repository that lists things such as the license information that you've found, any dependencies the mod has, any optional features, and maybe even the structure of the source file. This is basically the information that goes into the build file, and would be a useful starting point for someone else when creating the pybuild file. I think I'll set up an issue template on GitLab that can be used as a starting point.

The other thing of course is bugtesting. Just using portmod and reporting any problems or bugs you encounter is very helpful.

bmw

Post by bmw » 16 Jul 2020, 22:34

It's been a while since I've posted an update here.

I've just released portmod 2.0 beta6 (right after beta5; deployment was rough). The main difference since beta4 is the merging of omwcmd (a rust executable that was doing some things I didn't want to write in python) into the portmod codebase as a rust extension (using setuptools-rust and pyo3). Primarily, this means that the build process has a significant new step (compiling the rust extension), though to facilitate distribution I've also set up pre-compiled wheels to be built for python 3.6-3.8 on Linux, macOS and Windows, which are available through pypi (usually used automatically when installing with pip). If you have any issues with installation, please let me know.
There were also a number of bugs fixed, notably some long-standing bugs affecting macOS and Windows.

Portmod is actually quite close to stable, though there remains a significant amount of restructuring work, as I'd like to make some major changes to its internals prior to the 2.0 release candidate, some of which include structural interface changes (which will break things from the perspective of the package repository), though little will change in terms of functionality.

Something else I think is worth mentioning is that I've mostly completed the initial work to internationalize Portmod (it hasn't been merged just yet), and I'm looking at setting up a Pontoon instance to make translation more accessible.
I think Pontoon could be a great resource in the long run in the context of the work I've also been doing creating a git-friendly text version of plugin files (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6816), as we could eventually have plugins which are stored alongside all their localizations in a single repository, and have a pontoon instance provide an interface for translating Portmod, OpenMW (I don't think I've seen any plans for OpenMW internationalization yet) and various mods (likely only those with permissive licenses), all in the same place.