Portmod - Mod Manager

Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
darkbasic

Re: Portmod - Mod Manager

Post by darkbasic » 04 Sep 2019, 08:55

Awesome, thanks for your work :)

darkbasic

Post by darkbasic » 05 Sep 2019, 10:12

I'm currently testing it, may I suggest adding sets for the http://modding-openmw.com mod groups, like "Total Overhaul" and "Expanded Vanilla"? :)

bmw

Post by bmw » 20 Oct 2019, 03:36

darkbasic wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 10:12
I'm currently testing it, may I suggest adding sets for the http://modding-openmw.com mod groups, like "Total Overhaul" and "Expanded Vanilla"? :)
Sorry for the late response, I've been rather busy and haven't had much spare time.
Yes I definitely will add such sets, in one form or another. It occurred to me when thinking about this, that, particularly for large collections of mods that could change significantly over time, we really need some way of handling updates for people who don't want the changes to break their save files. There's already the feature, or at least the idea, as it's unfortunately not yet implemented, to roll back changes to your mod configuration, but it would be useful to have a pre-emptive way of avoiding breaking changes. I've put together some ideas here, such as making it possible to just do minor updates (with the option to ignore this for mods without plugins).

I think I'd mentioned something about using sets rather than metapackages/metamods previously, but it occurs to me that metamods would be much more powerful, mainly since we could take advantage of both use flags and versioning, which sets lack (and with versioning they could take advantage of the above safe update mechanisms, and it would be possible to continue to provide support for old versions of the metamod). The only advantage sets have is simplicity.

I've been working on adding all the "Expanded Vanilla" mods from modding-openmw, and am somewhere around two thirds of the way done, maybe closer to three quarters; once I'm done I'll create a metamod for them. Total Overhaul will be a lot more work, but it will be done eventually.