Issues with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Qazaaq

Issues with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel

Post by Qazaaq »

I've recently started a new game with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel but I've run into some issues. I've done some digging, but I'm not very familiar with Morrowind scripting and I'm not sure what to expect with regards to compatibility.

For reference, I'm using the Volume 4 beta available here and this patch.

What I've noticed so far is that Foci don't work. These are objects that enable and disable magic effects on the player through a dialogue window. In OpenMW the dialogue window doesn't open when equipping the object. By looking at the script it seems this is achieved by spawning a creature with PlaceAtPC and opening the dialogue with ForceGreeting. This works in vanilla, but it doesn't work in OpenMW, and I think this is because the creature's health is set to 0 in the definition. I've tried spawning the creature through the console, clicking on it and executing ForceGreeting that way. I'm not sure if that's supposed to work, but it also doesn't. What does work, is setting the creature's health in it's definition to a positive number. The creature is disabled as soon as the dialogue window closes so that works for me, but does indicate a difference in behavior between vanilla and OpenMW.

Another thing I noticed was that vanilla happily accepts additional arguments to RemoveSpell, while OpenMW complaints with an error. The mod consistently makes the error of calling AddSpell and RemoveSpell with a numerical argument in addition to the spell ID. OpenMW warns about AddSpell and continues, but RemoveSpell is flagged as an error. I assume errors terminate the script execution. Maybe OpenMW could also consider this a warning. It seems to me like additional arguments should never be a reason to stop script execution in-game.

One final thing. Since I've installed the mod in a separate directory for OpenMW I copied the esp file to the install directory in order to access it with the Construction Set. The OpenMW launcher correctly identifies the two identically named plugins and I can keep them apart by looking at the modified date. However, every time I start the launcher the original unmodified plugin is selected instead of the file I've been editing. I then select the more recently modified one instead, but this keeps on happening. I also believe the game is consistently using the first one since it seemed my fixes didn't apply until I renamed the edited plugin to something unique. Is this something I need to look out for? I can understand if plugins need to have a unique name, but a warning for unexpected behavior would be helpful in this case.

Despite the issues I'm having I think this project is nothing but amazing. Thanks for all the hard work!
AnyOldName3

Re: Issues with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're using multiple data= lines, when there are assets which appear in multiple data directories, only the version last in the list is available to the game. If this wasn't the case, then replacer mods wouldn't work, so it should be the most intuitive possible behaviour. It's just the launcher being weird that means you can see multiple copies, and something should probably be done about that.

As for fixing your issues, have you tried running the script through our CS's verifier, and then tweaking stuff it says is wrong? We aim to support all mods without errors, and it's possible that it's our fault that the script isn't working, but because the original script compiler in the original CS was so bonkers, it's also possible that the script was wrong but managed to produce correct bytecode by accident just through a coincidence.
Qazaaq

Post by Qazaaq »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 12:20 If you're using multiple data= lines, when there are assets which appear in multiple data directories, only the version last in the list is available to the game. If this wasn't the case, then replacer mods wouldn't work, so it should be the most intuitive possible behaviour. It's just the launcher being weird that means you can see multiple copies, and something should probably be done about that.
Thanks, that makes sense.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 12:20 As for fixing your issues, have you tried running the script through our CS's verifier, and then tweaking stuff it says is wrong? We aim to support all mods without errors, and it's possible that it's our fault that the script isn't working, but because the original script compiler in the original CS was so bonkers, it's also possible that the script was wrong but managed to produce correct bytecode by accident just through a coincidence.
That's how I originally solved the issues. The verifier is very useful. I've fixed all errors (all additional RemoveSpell arguments), but ignored the warnings, there's just too many. I had to redo the changes in the original CS because I couldn't find a way to create .esp files with the OpenMW CS and I couldn't find a levelled list merger that understands .omwaddons. Levelled list merges are still required right?

Fixing the script errors didn't fix the mod though, only with Health > 0 did the creature open up a dialogue window.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

You can just change the extension of created files to esp, though don't try to run them in Morrowind (Morrowind.exe). I submitted a changeset to openmw repository that should allow the plugin scripts to compile properly without modifying them.

Is by any chance that creature disabled somehow before forcegreeting is called? Because currently forcegreeting doesn't work on disabled actors. nah, it wasn't, it's something different.
Qazaaq

Post by Qazaaq »

Thanks, that at least solves the most tedious part of getting the mod to work.
Kilakro

Post by Kilakro »

I was able to get the mod simply by fixing the errors presented by the verifier and giving the NPC 1 health. Granted I was focusing my efforts simply getting the Restoration Focus to work first, I'll fix the other ones tomorrow.
Kilakro

Post by Kilakro »

Checked the other foci this morning. Turns out the only thing you have to do to get them working is give the added NPC's 1 health. My theory is that the original engine allowed you to talk to a dead NPC simply because they existed and the mod used the ForceGreeting command to make it talk. I'm guessing the OpenMW engine is a little more strict about letting you talk to dead people :lol:
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Kilakro wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 17:43 Checked the other foci this morning. Turns out the only thing you have to do to get them working is give the added NPC's 1 health. My theory is that the original engine allowed you to talk to a dead NPC simply because they existed and the mod used the ForceGreeting command to make it talk. I'm guessing the OpenMW engine is a little more strict about letting you talk to dead people :lol:
Wondering if this should be added to the bugtracker?

Hoping to summon a dev to answer this...

ST the summoner
PS - I would, but I am not sure if this needs to be added, and I am not sure how to add it to the bugtracker myself
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

ForceGreeting in Morrowind does not allow you to talk to dead people.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

So how are the dead people in this mod talking in vanilla?