Partner Mods

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
SatoriLotus

Partner Mods

Post by SatoriLotus »

There have been a couple of threads already about partner mods but mostly dealing with standalone/specific companions.

I can't create a wiki profile to edit these in so I thought I'd report my findings here;

*While I run numerous esp-less graphical mods, each of these was tested independently from other script/dialogue/npc mods.*

-Follow Me by Shade the Bandit - Seems to be working as intended

-REL Universal Companion Share by Fliggerty - I tested this using "Follow Me" before I realized it required MWSE, obviously it didn't work but without it "Follow Me" isn't particularly useful.

-CM Partners by Cutthroat Mods - I've tested multiple versions including: 2.8, 3.0, Baron's (based on 3.0), and Unlimited (based on 2.8) and while some will show the initial "conversation" dialogue, the friendship option doesn't work properly and so it's impossible to have NPC's follow you. Note that in Baron's version the NPC's are added to the game but lack the "conversation" topic.

I haven't tried Give Your Orders by TheLys to see if the slave share option works but without general NPC inventory sharing it doesn't suit my needs.

:!: EDIT: I just tested Friends and Rivals 0.7 by enkephalin which is based on CM Partners 2.5 and it seems to be working properly. I haven't tested CMP 2.5 itself to see if it also works but I suspect it probably will. If someone could make a compatibility entry on the wiki for CM Partners with this info it might help save someone a bit of time in the future.
Darklocq

Re: Partner Mods (+$20 bug fix bounty!)

Post by Darklocq »

Companion Teleportation 1.1 by cdcooley [requires TB+BM] is presently incompatible but fixable. This forum thread indicates why it is not working: the author did not include all the near-identical scripts, but compiled bytecode versions of them; this code only works in Bethesda's engine (technically a VM). He did, however, include the source of the original script, so someone who knows what they're doing can fix this mod by replacing the bytecode versions with source versions; his readme even has (geeky) instructions for how to do it (I can't quite interpret them, probably because I've never used the vanilla CS). This is a really high-priority mod to fix. I'll PayPal US$20 to whoever first provides an OpenMW-compatible version.

I can confirm what SatoriLotus has said about CM Parters 2.8, 3.0, and Baron's from my own testing over the last couple of days (wish I'd seen that post earlier). I would strongly suspect that there's simply a syntax error in there that is boogering a key script; these are frequent and often easy to fix. I'll add it to my "look into it" list. I'm glad of the news that Friends and Rivals is working, and will try it myself.

@SatoriLotus: If you go to the wiki-related section on the forum, there's instructions for how to add yourself as a wiki editor, which is done here (it uses your forum login info, presumably through LDAP). If you are following the Mod Testing Guidelines (and it looks like you are, one mod at a time), you can just update the Mod Status page yourself, after adding yourself to the wiki group. I'm doing "piles of mods at once" stress testing of OpenMW the way a hardcore gamer is likely to play it, so most of my own extensive write-ups on mods in OpenMW don't qualify for the Mod Status page (only those that DO work without any problems in my set up; all that have issues have to be re-tested the one-at-a-time way to ensure it's not mod conflicts).

My huge mods-tested-so-far list is at https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... anion_mods and it has several sections on companion and NPC mods.

I have yet to find any general NPC inventory sharing mod that works in OpenMW, and it may not be possible without MWSE, or manually changing NPCs into followers and adding sharing scripts.

Not tried Follow Me yet. NPC Commands 8b by Horny Buddha [req. TB+BM] also has a functional feature of getting an NPC to follow you if their disposition is maxed (a convenient alternative to Command Humanoid for "hiring" a spellmaker or whatever). Some other options work like "face me" and "face away", while some do not, like "lie down" (they immediately stand back up again in OpenMW), and some are just roleplay stuff that produces text responses.

NPC Functionality 1.3 by Casey Tucker also has follow/stay/guard options, and a whole lot more; compliance is dependent on an interplay of a lot of factors, but maxed Dispo usually works. It is good also for adding combat-control options (melee/ranged/magic/no-magic/stay back) to companions who don't have them.

Give Your Orders 1.3 by TheLys [req. TB] is similar, but it's even harder to get compliance (need near-max Dispo and Personality), and requests often trigger a Dispo drop. This is for hardcore roleplayers with high-level characters.

Companion Role Play Plus 1.01 by ManaUser also has some functional features, and some non-functional ones. A working one is adjusting companion Disposition with "favors"). Most of it is roleplaying stuff that produces text responses.

Move or Take My Place 1.0 by abot has an MSWE dependency, but its "move" part seemed to work, if the Disposition is high. The MSWE part might only be for hotkeys. I find it easier to just use TCL in the Console to walk through NPCs who are blocking me.
jirka642

Re: Partner Mods

Post by jirka642 »

Darklocq wrote:Companion Teleportation 1.1 by cdcooley [requires TB+BM] is presently incompatible but fixable. This forum thread indicates why it is not working: the author did not include all the near-identical scripts, but compiled bytecode versions of them; this code only works in Bethesda's engine (technically a VM). He did, however, include the source of the original script, so someone who knows what they're doing can fix this mod by replacing the bytecode versions with source versions; his readme even has (geeky) instructions for how to do it (I can't quite interpret them, probably because I've never used the vanilla CS). This is a really high-priority mod to fix. I'll PayPal US$20 to whoever first provides an OpenMW-compatible version.

Try this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwtCkW ... sp=sharing

I have only tested it with few manually added followers, but it looks like it works.
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

jirka642 wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 13:18 Try this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwtCkW ... sp=sharing

I have only tested it with few manually added followers, but it looks like it works.
Ooh, is this your patch? Looks like I owe someone a $20 PayPal bounty!
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Yes, does it work as expected?
I have never used this mod in vanilla morrowind, so I don't know if everything works as it should...
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

It's not working for me. Companions will teleport to (into) me but only if they're already in the same cell; that part even works indoors. When I use Recall, Almsivi, or whatever, I'm asked if those following me should be teleported with me, answer yes, and there are magic visual and sound effects, and nothing happens. Same goes if I use the Companion Teleport spell after the fact, and tell it to bring them all, or do it one by one with each of the companions its knows about.

It is not bringing them to the same cell (interior or exterior) I'm in (even accidentally underground in the water table or something), since if I cast it again, they are not brought to me, even though we already know that if they are in the same cell already it does work. Comps. tested with it were Julan and Jasmine.

I do have a massive mod load, right near the maximum, and there are other issues going on (frequent CTDs, and I'm seeing some missing meshes/textures even on a few vanilla items).

I'm also running the OpenMW-compatible version of MultiMark AKA Multiple Teleport Marking 1.3, and have enabled its compatibility patch for Companion Teleportation. Their load order is CT, then Multi, then Multi-CT patch, though there are some intervening mods. I can try putting them back-to-back in the config file. Maybe the CT patch for Multi needs to come before Multi? That sounds unlikely.

Is it going to matter whether these load before or after the companion mods? If it doesn't matter, or these mods should load after not before the NPCs, I can try moving them all to the very end of the load order to avoid any possible conflicts with other mods.

Another possibility is that the Multi patch for cdcooley's original CT doesn't work with your version and should not be loaded. I think I'll try that next. It will probably mean always having to cast the CT spell manually when using the MT-modified Recall, but this would still be a zillion times better than having to go all the way across Vvardenfell to regain a companion left behind.

I'm starting to think that the simplest way to do this stuff is going to be having a script execute player->GetPos,x and then same for y and z, and get the current cell ID, then do "Companion ID Here"->PositionCell,xValue,yValue,zValue,0,"Cell ID here" (if rounding coordinates to nearest whole number, only round upward for z to prevent ground clipping), and with enough time between executions for each companion that you can move a little bit out of the way (probably backwards); 0.25 sec. is probably sufficient. One would cast it and start moving backwards, first companion would appear in front of you, then the next one a moment later, not stacked on top of the first one if you are still moving, since it would recalc. your x/y/z for the next companion. I guess the 0 can be 16200; I forget which one is facing in which direction. I don't know if PositionCell works for exteriors in Bethesda's engine, but it works fine (despite grumbling) in OpenMW, every time I've used it outdoors so far.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

My experiences were rather better.

The one restriction was that companions would usually not teleport from an interior cell to an exterior one. It did work occasionally, but usually not.
I don't recall this restriction in vanilla MW, but it's a long time since I played it.

Teleporting from one exterior cell to another was fine.

Teleporting within the same cell was fine, even with an interior cell.

Tested with most of Emma's companions, up to 5 in the party.

Loriel
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Just tested this a bit more.
- teleporting npc between exterior cells worked without any problems
- teleporting from interior cell to anywhere but the same interior cell doesn't work at all, and when you go back for npc you might be able to see him falling into abyss (if you are fast enough and with "tcl" enabled)
- teleporting from exterior to interior cell also doesn't work

I think this might have something to do with scripts trying to move npc to/from unloaded cells. Maybe OpenMW doesn't like that?

EDIT: I used only Companion Teleport spell for this testing
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

jirka642 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 19:31 Just tested this a bit more.
<snip>
- teleporting from exterior to interior cell also doesn't work
Known restriction in Vanilla MW - I think use of MWSE is the usual workaround.

Loriel
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

Well, in my test, I was in fact leaving an interior for an exterior (a dungeon, for Balmora), so that may explain it. Will try again in a bit. It was also a mod dungeon, so I guess I'll try it from a vanilla interior, too.

The [original, .esp] mod's docs say "The summoning scripts can't move NPCs into an interior cell but they
can move NPCs around within a cell and summon them to exteriors." So, this is a bug. Might be worth reporting as an OpenMW bug; it doesn't seem like a bug in the mod (or the re-mod) itself. The scripts [mostly in compiled form] work in Bethesda, by all indication, and all the OpenMW patch does is duplicate the one script that wasn't compiled, to recreate those that were, by tweaking each copy's IDs to be unique for each companion in the list, then retain these as scripts rather than as compiled bytecode. If I understood correctly, that is what was done. So, it SHOULD summon NPCs to exteriors from interiors just like the original.

That said, even having to do it exterior-to-exterior is still an improvement over no companion teleportation!