Could we work on a suggested modlist?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
MrDowntempo

Could we work on a suggested modlist?

Post by MrDowntempo »

A few years back the Morrowind Overhaul was the go to complete modding solution. These days there's carefully curated lists like STEP. Personally, I've attempted to follow combinations of a few lists and specific mods I want with XE etc, but it gets unwieldy and difficult to manage.

Meanwhile, OpenMW is progressing fairly quickly with mostly bug fixing these days. Distant lands doesn't seem to far off for then either as work on it is already in the dailys now. OpenMW also allows for a cleaner way to manage multiple mods since they can be split in they own directories. Still, not all bugs are fixed and not all mods work.

Might it be possible for this community to begin work on a curated list of OpenMW compatible mods to provide quality consistent graphical and lore friendly experience with modernized tweaks to gameplay. It would be wise, it seems, to begin such a project before they hit 1.0

I'm down to test and help, but I don't have nearly as much experience working with mods as most here do.

Good idea?

I also posted this request at https://www.reddit.com/r/ModdingMorrowi ... w_modlist/

and https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... _xpost_at/
DestinedToDie

Re: Could we work on a suggested modlist?

Post by DestinedToDie »

I believe Halbe was working on a big modlist, but hasn't yet published. I've also seen some other people running around 200 mods on OpenMW.

Additionally there was a pretty decent curation effort by Atahualpa in the wiki. https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ogued_Mods (expand to see more)
halbe

Post by halbe »

I see I was mentioned! Well it just so happens that I'm almost finished with it, just need to merge them and polish up some scripts. Here's the working list, please let me know if anyone has any suggestions that aren't covered here. Assume that fancy textures are not an issue because I'm batching watercolored versions so you only need to suggest textures that are more aesthetically pleasing (and consistent!) than vanilla. The main things I like to look for are mesh improvements, essential mods, and neat little mods that are ideal for a merged overhaul. I avoid anything that would be too controversial since this is intended to be used as a base so let me know if you're not a fan of anything on this list so I can make it optional.
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gpq6m

I was originally maintaining a "realistic" version but I don't like the way it looks since everyone's textures look so different from each other, the watercolored one is also a lot better since it won't look jarring when you go to TR since I can batch those too (or later on with SHotN and PC).
Last edited by halbe on 05 Jun 2017, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I've been out of the modding sphere for a while because I just got tired of maintaining extensive modlists, so I'm not really familiar with a lot of them, but from the ones I do know, I think you've got the right idea. When you publish it, I recommend keeping to the STEP format where you have a core and an extended list as well as everything separated by the type of mod it is. I do like the watercolor filters though for the reason you specify. Do you have a guide you're using for that? It would be nice to have one set up for myself so I can change the parameters and use whatever mods I want.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Ravenwing wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 18:10 I've been out of the modding sphere for a while because I just got tired of maintaining extensive modlists, so I'm not really familiar with a lot of them, but from the ones I do know, I think you've got the right idea. When you publish it, I recommend keeping to the STEP format where you have a core and an extended list as well as everything separated by the type of mod it is. I do like the watercolor filters though for the reason you specify. Do you have a guide you're using for that? It would be nice to have one set up for myself so I can change the parameters and use whatever mods I want.
Nope, I'll be setting up watercolored once I finish merging. I know how to batch files in GIMP I just need to play around with filters until I'm happy, when I make the mod I'll upload my script so you can make your own. If anyone wants to work ahead of me and make their own watercolored script please send it to me!

I won't be keeping the STEP format since this isn't a modlist but rather a merged modpack, I will have 5 modules though:
>chim - core
contains most of the merged mods
>chim - controversial
contains my gameplay/story changes, not even really recommended until openmw is dehardcoded so I can more properly implement these
>chim - models
smoothed models
>chim - groundcover
performance hog
>chim - textures
batched textures for everything including TR (which is a requirement), some parallax maps and some changes from vanilla textures too.

The only things I'm not bundling are:
>TR
duh
>Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul
Peterbitt doesn't want people using his mods in modpacks and I'm not a sound designer so I can't reimplement the parts I care about
>Outlander
Like TR it's big and actively maintained. Also it isn't released yet so I guess that's an important factor too.