Degrees of mod compatibility

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
greymarch1

Degrees of mod compatibility

Post by greymarch1 »

First, I want to give kudos to the OpenMW team for doing a fantastic job to date. Is there a feel for the extent to which some of the world-changing mods like Darknut's "Greater Dwemer Ruins" and Team SSE's "Sotha Sil Expanded" will work with this new engine? I suspect since both rely on MWSE which does not appear to be planned for implementation until after v1.0, the best answer at this point may be "not yet" ... but I would appreciate any additional feedback or insight from those in the know; thank you!
Jyby

Re: Degrees of mod compatibility

Post by Jyby »

Hey greymarch1! Welcome to the forums.

Moved to Mod Compatibility.
lambda

Post by lambda »

greymarch1 wrote:Is there a feel for the extent to which some of the world-changing mods like Darknut's "Greater Dwemer Ruins" and Team SSE's "Sotha Sil Expanded" will work with this new engine?
Not an answer to your question but regarding those two mods, none of them lists MWSE as dependencies in their readme's. It could be a badly written readme though...
greymarch1

Post by greymarch1 »

lambda wrote:
greymarch1 wrote:Is there a feel for the extent to which some of the world-changing mods like Darknut's "Greater Dwemer Ruins" and Team SSE's "Sotha Sil Expanded" will work with this new engine?
Not an answer to your question but regarding those two mods, none of them lists MWSE as dependencies in their readme's. It could be a badly written readme though...
I just finished looking through the readme files myself; looks like I'm mistaken about the MWSE reliance. Or, as you said, it might be necessary but not mentioned. (I've done a bit of mixing and matching with mods over the years and apparently got confused over which of them had additional requirements.) That said, I suppose if they rely on standard "vanilla" scripts, they're worth checking out with the current version.

Maybe my question should instead be "has anyone play tested these mods yet?" :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think I remember a discussion about Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins and it relying on a lot of Morrowind engine's scripting peculiarities. The problem with it was that if 1 script in the chain breaks, you're kind of stuck. However that was a long time ago, perhaps you'll encounter no problems now.

See this thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3269&p=36430&hilit= ... ins#p36430
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

I am using both these mods, but as I just started a new game it will be a while before I get far enough to test them.

There are dozens of mods around where the moder does not understand the commands for playing sounds, the vanilla engine did not complain and just ignores extra parameters. OpenMW is stricter and will not run faulty scripts. In the post above Chris solved it by hacking the engine, but I am not sure if that hack was committed to engine, if not you will need to hack the mod to add VP to the play command or remove the volume and pitch numbers.