Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Netchythenetch

Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Netchythenetch »

Hello everyone.
I wanted to install the gorgeous mod Caverns Bump Mapped, but my caves are either shiny or disturbingly pink.
I followed the instructions on the openmw page, changed the ini settings and even tried to rename texture files, but nothing seems to work. Also, maybe I'm not that bright, but the instructions on this part aren't exactly clear for me:
Let us assume we have the model example.nif. In this model file, there should be a tag (NiSourceTexture) that states what texture it should use and where to find it. Typically, it will point to something like exampletexture_01.dds. This texture is supposed to be located directly in the Textures folder since it does not state anything else. If the model is a custom made one, modders tend to group their textures in separate folders, just to easily keep track of them. It might be something like ./Textures/moddername/exampletexture_02.dds.

When OpenMW finally adds normal mapping, it simply takes the NiSourceTexture file path, e.g., exampletexture_01.dds, and looks for a exampletexture_01_n.dds. If it can’t find this file, no normal mapping is added. If it does find this file, the model will use this texture as a normal map. Simple.
As usual, thank you for your help.
MiroslavR

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by MiroslavR »

I'm guessing you have run into the problem described here:
https://openmw.org/2016/bump-mappers-assemble/
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

I did, and I followed the instructions on lysol's page, but to no avail.
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

Netchythenetch wrote:but the instructions on this part aren't exactly clear for me
I don't see any instructions in that part. It just explains how OpenMW looks for normal maps...
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I've created for my personal use a version for Cavern Bump Mapped for OpenMW that works (mostly). Later when I arrive at home I'll upload it but I don't have contacted the author.
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

Amenophis wrote:I've created for my personal use a version for Cavern Bump Mapped for OpenMW that works (mostly). Later when I arrive at home I'll upload it but I don't have contacted the author.
Thanks! so it doesn't work smoothly?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I've got rid with the NIFs and used textures in OpenMW style ( _spec). So, the reflexive effect is differente from the original mod: more subtle under low light.
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

I did the same, but textures looked weird :|
lysol

Post by lysol »

I had a look at the files included in the mod (I didn't install it, just had a look at the file names etc). Installing it should be really simple. Do NOT install the "meshes" folder. The ONLY folder you should install is the Textures folder.

(If you accidentally did, then I hope you installed the mod using OpenMW's separate data folders function This way, you only have to remove the Meshes folder. If you installed the mod in the main Morrowind Data FIles folder, you need to find and remove all the specific .nif files that was included in the mod, which is a few hundred)

Anyway. If you have the Textures folder installed now, you only have 11 textures to keep track of. The ones that ends with *_nm.dds should have their names changed to *_n.dds. For example, tx_natural_cavern_wall00_nm.dds should be renamed to tx_natural_cavern_wall00_n.dds.

Regarding the reflection texture, I think it won't be necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong though. It seems that the texture packs that uses the MCP method always include one single reflection texture, and to me they always look the same to my experience (black with a white dot fading in in the middle). I guess it had something to do with making the normal maps look correct with the MCP method or something.
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

Ok, I did that and that's a pic of how it looks like! It worked, thank you very much! not sure about that white columns though...
Also, I have a really low framerate and a huge number of physics, do you guys know what is causing that?
Attachments
screenshot000.jpg