Real Signposts by Matthias [ElBundeee] Kath

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
SteveOdom

Re: Real Signposts by Matthias [ElBundeee] Kath

Post by SteveOdom »

AnyOldName3 wrote:Boost Program Options cuts off anything it reads in at a line break, so if it's already magically ignoring quotes, it shouldn't hurt them to be mismatched.

As for the general investigation of this issue, I've put all my findings in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3980

I've been completely unable to reproduce the behaviour you're getting - for me, it always works when there are quotes and always doesn't work when there aren't. That means that in order to work out what's going on, I'll need the test done on your machine. There are some vague instructions included in that thread, but if you need something more specific, I can help with that.

It doesn't bother me at all, it's just something that I thought was a bit 'off'. I have no idea what's causing this and I thought it would be best to post it here. If there's anything I can do to help out with investigating this, please let me know. Hell, I would even send you one of the he laptops I'm experiencing this on if it wasn't so damn expensive.

I do not think this should get any priority though, not if this is added to the how to mod' page on the wiki. It's not that hard to find out wether or not mods work with, without or with and without quotes on your rig. I also made the suggestion to change this on the relevant wikipage. Might just be the best thing to do at the moment?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's mostly a case of it supposedly being impossible to get the behaviour you're experiencing if the code does what we think it does. This means that something's broken somewhere, and it might lead to other, more serious bugs if we don't work out what it is.

The main things I need to know are which OpenMW versions it affects, how to reproduce the issue, and if the problem is with our code, our packaging process, or the libraries we rely on. The first of these is easy for users to test - just downgrade your OpenMW package a few times, and see if anything changes, and the test I wrote in the other thread should give me an idea as to whether it's Boost's fault.

If you want to perform that test, it should be doable by installing g++ and libboost-all-dev, building it with 'g++ BoostPathTest.cpp -std=c++11 -lboost_program_options -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system', and then running the resulting a.out file in the same folder as each of the versions of config.cfg in turn, and finally posting the output here (or in the other thread.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

AnyOldName3 wrote:It's mostly a case of it supposedly being impossible to get the behaviour you're experiencing if the code does what we think it does. This means that something's broken somewhere, and it might lead to other, more serious bugs if we don't work out what it is.

The main things I need to know are which OpenMW versions it affects, how to reproduce the issue, and if the problem is with our code, our packaging process, or the libraries we rely on. The first of these is easy for users to test - just downgrade your OpenMW package a few times, and see if anything changes, and the test I wrote in the other thread should give me an idea as to whether it's Boost's fault.

If you want to perform that test, it should be doable by installing g++ and libboost-all-dev, building it with 'g++ BoostPathTest.cpp -std=c++11 -lboost_program_options -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system', and then running the resulting a.out file in the same folder as each of the versions of config.cfg in turn, and finally posting the output here (or in the other thread.
Is there a step by step guide to this, because I have absolutely no clue what this all means. :(
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Install g++:

sudo apt-get install g++

Install Boost:

sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev

Get the required files:

Copy and paste the blocks of stuff from the post into files with names matching the filenames above the blocks in the post. You should now have BoostPathTest.cpp and config.cfg in the same folder.

Compile:

g++ BoostPathTest.cpp -std=c++11 -lboost_program_options -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system

Run:

./a.out
Do this twice, one with each version of config.cfg in the folder you run the program from. It should output some stuff to stdout, and if you post that here, that's what I want.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

I'll do it by tonight (in about 7hours) and post the results for you. :)
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

AnyOldName3 wrote:
Copy and paste the blocks of stuff from the post into files with names matching the filenames above the blocks in the post. You should now have BoostPathTest.cpp and config.cfg in the same folder.
Sorry for the double post. What do you mean with "the post' and "blocks"? I'm sorry to waste your time here.

Should I add the folders of my mods to the BoostPathTest.cpp folder as well as my config.cfg?
swick

Post by swick »

I uploaded the BoostPathTest program with the two test cases.
  • extract BoostPathTest.tar.gz
  • open terminal and navigate to the BoostPathTest folder you extracted
  • rename config.cfg.1 to config.cfg
  • run ./BoostPathTest, post the output here (first test case)
  • rename config.cfg back to config.cfg.1
  • rename config.cfg.2 to config.cfg
  • run ./BoostPathTest, post the output here (second test case)
Attachments
BoostPathTest.tar.gz
(741.38 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

Case1:

Code: Select all

./BoostPathTest
./BoostPathTest
"this is a / string / what/i/wrote/", this is a / string / what/i/wrote/
"C:\Program Files\Thing Simulator\res\", C:\Program Files\Thing Simulator\res\
"~/wibble/wobble", ~/wibble/wobble
Case2:

Code: Select all

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::program_options::invalid_option_value> >'
  what():  the argument ('this is a / string / what/i/wrote/') for option 'filepath' is invalid
Aborted
I hope this is done correctly. :)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Yeah, that's what I needed to see. If there was anything magic about your computer, then both of those cases would have had the same output, but they both had exactly what they're supposed to.

The next idea I have is for you to upload your config file just in case it contains anything weird that's tripped the settings loader up. If you could also see what happens in OpenMW 0.39 it'll hopefully determine whether the code I wrote on top of Boost caused the problem or whether it was already there.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

AnyOldName3 wrote:Yeah, that's what I needed to see. If there was anything magic about your computer, then both of those cases would have had the same output, but they both had exactly what they're supposed to.

The next idea I have is for you to upload your config file just in case it contains anything weird that's tripped the settings loader up. If you could also see what happens in OpenMW 0.39 it'll hopefully determine whether the code I wrote on top of Boost caused the problem or whether it was already there.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by config file so I included my entire .config folder here:

https://mega.nz/#F!k44zyKQD!vRdtKFMVg0OTDjCOgsANhw

Is there a clean and easy way to downgrade openMW?