Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Capostrophic

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Post by Capostrophic » 05 Oct 2018, 12:46

Ouch. I don't want NDL and Bethesda lawyer squads knocking on my or anyone else's door. :P ( :oops: )

As far as I can tell, it's not the source code - that evaluation copy doesn't include any - so none of us know how the thing should actually be implemented, we only have the idea of what should be implemented that can't be patented. It's physically impossible to take more copyrighted material than necessary for implementing EMBM considering there isn't any and the docs were used for educational purposes. Theoretically this should fall under fair use.
Hmph.
:?
shitty lingua anglica grammar ftw

Capostrophic

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Post by Capostrophic » 05 Nov 2018, 18:43

I guess I should say something.

Morrowind doesn't support using environment maps on skinned objects (other than the enchanted equipment environment maps, I guess), so bumpmapping doesn't work on skinned models. But that shouldn't be replicated I suppose. MCP fixes that.
Gloss map support in Morrowind is broken for whatever reason. MCP fixes the removal of gloss map references in the meshes by Morrowind and re-enables it, but instead of using the alpha channel of bump maps, which would be logical, the blue channel is used for the gloss map. Not sure if Morrowind simply behaves as if the blue channel is white or handles the bumpmap as a monochrome texture.
shitty lingua anglica grammar ftw